DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Plaster repair materials

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Marqed97 
#1 ·
Hey folks...

I've read through some of the threads related to plaster repair on here the last few days. I hate to rehash an already-addressed subject, but...

I have a lot of small areas to repair. The house was built in 1914, all the walls are original plaster. The ceilings are plaster as well, though former owners furred them out and installed ceiling tiles of some sort (late 80's).

Due to various renovations, doorknobs, house settling, etc, there are some cracks and areas I've patched with Sheetrock. I've gotten them as close to level with the plaster as possible, trying to leave a little depth for whatever plaster type compound I'll use...and that's the question.

Do I use joint compound? Repair compound? Is actual plaster still available? It doesn't have to be perfect but decent enough to paint. I've done small fixes with joint compound in the past...

I'd love to rip it all down and Sheetrock room by room, but my 1" of plaster is also my primary insulation (ha ha- not really a joke). My 2 little girls and myself also suffer from wicked dust allergies, so if it happens it won't be for a long time.

Any advice would be appreciated....

Thanks,
Andy

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey folks...

I've read through some of the threads related to plaster repair on here the last few days. I hate to rehash an already-addressed subject, but...there are some cracks and areas I've patched with Sheetrock. I've gotten them as close to level with the plaster as possible, trying to leave a little depth for whatever plaster type compound I'll use.
You may have missed the related thread where I wrote:

For the rough area where plaster fell: Remove dust and plaster debris. Fill hole to just below surrounding surface with patching plaster. When almost dry, cut crosshatch pattern. When dry, spray with water and complete repair with joint compound.

From Ultimate Guide: Drywall, Third Edition

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.