Plaster Expanded Corner Bead Help - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Hurst

Old 07-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 38

Plaster Expanded Corner Bead Help

Good morning! I am working on repairing a chimney breast that's plastered in my living room. The house had a leaking chimney and the plaster became separated from the chimney in places and the old repair job was poorly done (areas where the plaster is 1/2-3/4" thicker than the original wall), so I chiseled the old plaster off of this wall, and when I did that, I found the original expanded metal corner bead for both the external and internal corner was severely corroded and disintegrated when I took the plaster out (this is a side wall on the chimney, so it has an external corner to the front of the chimney and an internal corner to the gypsum lath interior wall. I am not as worried about the inside corner, but I cannot find external expaned metal corner beads anywhere around the Lexington, KY area. The closest I could find was a supplier near Cincinnati thought their store up there would have them. I'll try to take pictures and post them, but if the corner bead is still in place and secured to the front wall of the chimney and straight, can I just build up close to it with structo lite and then level it off with durabond 90 and not replace the corner bead, or should I cut out the remaining portion of the corner bead on the front wall and replace it? If the latter, anyone know who in central Kentucky carries the stuff anymore? Everyone keeps saying they had it up until a few years ago.

-Hurst
Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,270

Re: Plaster Expanded Corner Bead Help

Would it be easier to build a wall in front and drywall it.?
Hurst likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #3

I thought about that, but it's a wood burning fireplace with a brick boarder that is brought out enough to sit flush with the plaster and the mantle mounted on the plaster, so I would have to redo the masonry work around it and open up my clearances between the firebox and the combustible materials to be to code, when really the rest of the sides of the fireplace are all solid and the past repair that extended around the front of the fireplace is much more level and true than the part I took out.

-Hurst
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #4

Here are a couple of pictures of what I'm dealing with. The pink is the plaster weld that was used on the previous repair (looked like durabond 90 with a skim of light joint compound)
Attached Thumbnails
Plaster Expanded Corner Bead Help-20170713_184108_1499985773923.jpg   Plaster Expanded Corner Bead Help-20170713_184102_1499985884731.jpg  
Old 07-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
retired framer

You can hold the nail with a pair of pliers too.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

Do I need to pull out the existing corner bead since it is rusted and deteriorated? It's still a straight corner and held in place by the adjacent wall's plaster. If it needs to be replaced, my other problem is no one around here carries the wire/expaned metal corner bead. Is there a way to use drywall corner bead instead? I can't even track down more than 4 bags of Structolite or any base plaster for that matter within 60-70 miles of here. If I go an hour and a half north to Cincinnati, I can get the stuff all day long, so that's an option if I do need to replace the corner bead. This one was originally installed with wooden dowels cut off into indentions in the mortar joints, so I could reuse those as well instead of driving into the mortar.

Hurst
Old 07-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
retired framer

They are galvanized so they don't rust. when things rust they can expand, I would be rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement