Need Help Installing A Grab Bars On Already Established Holes - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Need help installing a grab bars on already established holes

Hi,

I recently purchased a basic 12" Aquasense grab bar at Walmart and would like to mount it for securely getting out of the bath.

My situation is made unique by the fact that the previous tenants have already installed a grab bar in the bathroom. Due to the fact that I rent and do not owe the apartment, I would like to ideally use the same holes that were already used during the previous installation (please see photos attached). The diameter of the grab bar is the same and the height is fine as well.

The problem that I have is that the holes to screw the support bolts are sealed with spackling compound (most likely). Regular plastic wall anchors were used during the previous installation and they are still in the holes (please see picture).
By doing research online, I realized they are not the best choice for heavy loads though, which makes me kind of wonder why they were used during the previous installation.

How should I go about the new installation of the grab bar in the tiles? Should I just drill through the same holes and hence push the wall anchor forward? Should I forget about the existing holes as 6 plastic wall anchors are not strong enough for a grab bar installation and instead look for a stud finder and use a wall stud as the instructions ideally require. Should I rely on regular plastic wall anchors as well, as it was used in the other installation and some users do resort to using regular wall anchors for grab bar installations

I attached 2 photos for reference. The first photo's added small text mentions the visibility of the yellow plastic wall anchors.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help installing a grab bars on already established holes-img_2175.jpg   Need help installing a grab bars on already established holes-img_2174.jpg  
Spend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 218

You are going to have to find out where the studs are . I will not install a grab bar for anyone without screwing into studs .

Last edited by daveblt; 01-13-2015 at 12:09 PM.
daveblt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daveblt For This Useful Post:
NickTheGreat (01-21-2015), PaliBob (01-21-2015), ToolSeeker (01-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 454

You could use toggle bolts, but i still wouldn't trust it to hold if you are going to use it to pull all of your weight up
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

Is the landlord required to have installed handrails? May be able to use those grips with suction cups, if the suction is on a grout line they will not work. Believe me, those suction cup grip bars are safe. If the suction cup would slide a little and hit the grout line, one of the cups will lose suction.
The big box store sells a special kit for installing grap bars into drywall. It will call for I believe a half inch hole to install the fastners. I personally do not like to install a grip bar in anything but a stud. Mnay times the tile does not go all the way to the ceiling and you will be able to find the studs on the drywall above, then just use a plumb bob or level down below.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

The first (and most sensible) thing to do is to probe the existing holes to see if any of them are in fact drilled into studs. In some areas it is unlawful to install grab bars into wall board with plastic anchors and can be a very dangerous thing to do.

The ADA has specific requirements for installing grab bars and in fact the responsibility falls on the landlord/property owner to get it done. You could face great liability if you install the bars and someone gets injured as the result of a substandard/unlawful installation.
PaliBob (01-21-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #6

Thank you all for the replies.
Reading them, I concluded that the grab bar should only be installed using a wall stud and probably by someone more experienced than me.

I decided to proceed by contacting my landlord. I will ask him to do a proper installation without the use of wall anchors as human safety is the priority here. I don't expect him to charge me as much as a handyman would.
As much as I would like to attempt the installation myself, I do not want to experiment on tile as already made enough unnecessary holes in the drywall when using dollar store wall anchors for various small jobs.

I will post a reply here soon to finish the topic when there will be developments.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spend For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (01-21-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 100

Why is the owner required to install grab bars?

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 364

I'd like to hear the answer to that as well. Particularly as we don't know what type of rental housing this is, nor do we know if this is an ADA request, or just the renter wanting a bar.

The other item that confuses me, is the expectation of a charge "less than a handyman".
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
I'd like to hear the answer to that as well. Particularly as we don't know what type of rental housing this is, nor do we know if this is an ADA request, or just the renter wanting a bar.

The other item that confuses me, is the expectation of a charge "less than a handyman".

Well, I live in an apartment building with an on site landlord. I usually require his help when something malfunctions in the apartment (i.e. fridge stopped working, leaking faucet, etc.). My neighbors ask his help from time to time for basic DIY tasks in their apartment. They have told me they "tip" him for those jobs. I was thinking to go the same route, hence my assumption that he will not ask or will require a lot of money for the task of installing a grab bar compared to a handyman. My only possible concern is that he might choose to install the grab bar using wall anchors, which seems to not be the right thing to do. I will voice my concern and will ask him to use a wall stud. I will see how the scenario will unfold and will subsequently post here.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #10
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spend View Post
Well, I live in an apartment building with an on site landlord. I usually require his help when something malfunctions in the apartment (i.e. fridge stopped working, leaking faucet, etc.). My neighbors ask his help from time to time for basic DIY tasks in their apartment. They have told me they "tip" him for those jobs. I was thinking to go the same route, hence my assumption that he will not ask or will require a lot of money for the task of installing a grab bar compared to a handyman. My only possible concern is that he might choose to install the grab bar using wall anchors, which seems to not be the right thing to do. I will voice my concern and will ask him to use a wall stud. I will see how the scenario will unfold and will subsequently post here.
Sounds like a good guy, this landlord does

I'd personally rather have no grab bar than a poorly installed one.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement