Lesson On How To Give Textured Ceiling An Even Painted Look - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,077

Lesson on how to give textured ceiling an even painted look

I have really learned a lot from my kitchen ceiling!

In the summer of 2014 I hired someone to plaster the ceiling in the kitchen, living room, and bedroom. But he was a liar. He was not a real plasterer. Instead, he was a plasterer's assistant. After he plastered the kitchen ceiling, it was clear that the task was beyond his capability. He confessed and brought in the real plasterer that he works for.

The real plasterer corrected the mistakes in the kitchen ceiling as best as he could. But there was a lot of texture still left on the ceiling. He then went on to plaster the living room and bedroom. The living room and bedroom came out perfectly.

After all 3 ceilings were painted, I noticed that the kitchen ceiling had dark spots because of the ridges and rough areas. Yesterday I decided to skim the textured area of the ceiling with joint compound. I used a broad putty knife and pressed the joint compound tightly to the ceiling so that it entered the ridges and I allow me not to have a lot of sanding to do.

I'm planning to sand the joint compound by hand, using a sanding block with like 120 grit sanding paper. I then plan to prime the ceiling before painting with Behr Premium Plus Interior Ceiling Flat Paint. Is this a good method?

I'm attaching some photos to let you see what I'm trying to do.

This is the living room ceiling as seen from my kitchen, it has a uniform white look. The only dark spot is the shadow of the ceiling fan which is okay:

Now let us view the kitchen ceiling from the living room. Before doing this let me remind you that the kitchen ceiling has smooth and textured areas. This is an example of a smooth area:

This is an example of a textured area:

This is how the kitchen ceiling looked after it was painted (notice the dark spots):

And this is how the ceiling now looks after I've skimmed the dark areas with joint compound but have not yet sanded:

stripedbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,077

What am I doing wrong?

I gave my kitchen ceiling a skimming of joint compound over the rough patches of plaster.

I then sanded the joint compound a day later.

Then I gave the ceiling a coat of Glidden Gripper White Primer & Sealer a day later.

A few days later I gave it a first coat of Behr Flat Ceiling Interior Paint. I got some bubbles.

More than a month later (today) I sanded the bubbles then gave it another coat of finish. But I got even more bubbles this time (see photo below). What am I doing wrong? Since some of these bubbles are a little larger, how should I remove them? Sand then patch with joint compound again. Am I not simply going to get more bubbles?
Attached Thumbnails
Lesson on how to give textured ceiling an even painted look-ceiling5.jpg  
stripedbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement