Impossible Drywall Around Tub Surround - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 09-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Impossible drywall around tub surround

Impossible for me at least! I’ve been stumped on how to finish the drywall around this tub surround. The problem is that there are heating ducts in the wall next to the tub surround on one wall. I thought of using drywall clips to secure a strip of drywall to the original drywall but if I tried to screw the clips into the original drywall it will contact a heating duct as shown in the pic. The only other option that I can see is to take the original drywall back to the next stud, lay a new sheet in place that’s about 20” wide from floor to ceiling, cut a new duct opening, tape & finish but it seems like much more work for what should be a simple fix? Hoping you guys can help!

Edit* sorry, I don’t know how to get the pictures to post right side up vs on their side
Attached Thumbnails
Impossible drywall around tub surround-bae04888-0317-4f2f-ab7e-4a120583bcfd.jpg   Impossible drywall around tub surround-89fed25b-5c43-4c8c-a373-767530e5fdf8.jpg   Impossible drywall around tub surround-b74f9d24-ca45-46e1-a387-7c1846db5725.jpg  
Fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,634

Re: Impossible drywall around tub surround

I would cut it back and add 2 2x4s one beside the tub and one behind the new join.
Attached Images

Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I would cut it back and add 2 2x4s one beside the tub and one behind the new join.
I can’t due to there being the hot air ducting. It’s hard to see in the pics but the duct is right next to 2x4 that the surround is screwed into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 70

Sometimes cutting it back to the next stud and making it a bigger patch is the best solution. If it's not secured & you just fill it & flat tape it to the tub surround it's likely to crack.
finisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #5

You can see the edge of the duct next to the stud that the surround is screwed into.
Attached Thumbnails
Impossible drywall around tub surround-f921dc2e-c26c-44c5-adc2-40ec49e9dd44.jpg  
Nealtw likes this.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
I can’t due to there being the hot air ducting. It’s hard to see in the pics but the duct is right next to 2x4 that the surround is screwed into.
Yeah, that doesn't work does it.

Last edited by Nealtw; 09-08-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
You can see the edge of the duct next to the stud that the surround is screwed into.
Maybe if you glued a flat strap to the back of the drywall and then slipped it in behind the tub flange.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...ST48/100374972
Old 09-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,948

What is the tub flange screwed to ? The drywall needs to go over on to the tub flange anyway. Fasten the DW to whatever the tub flange is fastened to maybe.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,588

One possibility is to build it out. Then you can finish it properly. Might want to consider using cement board and tiling over the bump out. Only thing is - is there another duct one bay over ?
Attached Thumbnails
Impossible drywall around tub surround-tub-surround.jpg  
Nealtw and Domo like this.

Last edited by SPS-1; 09-08-2019 at 12:03 PM.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,644

Fill with strip of drywall with a edge beading spaced away from the plastic with 1/8" wood strip. Finish the drywall and caulk the gap then add tall tub corner splash block. Or fill the gap with thinset, mesh, then finish with setting compound which is more resistant to water. You still need a spacer. Just one idea.
Looks like there are some drywall corner beads with raised edge that you can use as a guide.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:50 AM   #11

I think I’m just going to cut it back to the next stud. I did some measuring & there’s a stud in between the two ducts so I’ll have to cut the drywall back about 11”. I’ll feel better securing the drywall to the stud & flange vs what I currently have, the only downside is having a butt that runs the entire length of the wall from floor to ceiling. I’m also thinking about taking the rest of the drywall off over the tub on all three sides so there’s only the corners & ceiling to mud.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #12
retired framer

Yes i would cut it back to the next stud, you might trim the tub flange so the drywall can share that stud.
Attached Thumbnails
Impossible drywall around tub surround-fis-2.png  
Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes i would cut it back to the next stud, you might trim the tub flange so the drywall can share that stud.
Question... As I posted above, the drywall has to be cut fairly close to the tub so why would the tub flange need trimmed back ? Doesn't the DW have to sit on top of the tub flange anyway ? Unless of course, the OP is using some type of large PVC trim around the tub or it is being tiled. But I read no mention of cement board...

Would not just removing the existing tub flange screws, then set the DW over the flange, and then putting some 3/16 " drill holes through the DW and flange not work ? (drill holes are to prevent cracking the tub flange with the drywall screws)

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 09-09-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #14
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Question... As I posted above, the drywall has to be cut fairly close to the tub so why would the tub flange need trimmed back ? Doesn't the DW have to sit on top of the tub flange anyway ? Unless of course, the OP is using some type of large PVC trim around the tub or it is being tiled. But I read no mention of cement board...
usually the drywall does not overlap and then one row of tile go around as a trim, if the dry wall overlaps the tile does not sit flat.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #15

Quote:
usually the drywall does not overlap and then one row of tile go around as a trim, if the dry wall overlaps the tile does not sit flat.

That's a new wrinkle on my horn Neal. The acrylic tub/shower combo sets in my neck of the wood, the builders just drywall right up to within 3/16" of the tub over the flange and caulk it in.
Advertisement