Great Respect For Professional Drywallers - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree12Likes

Old 08-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 247

Great respect for professional drywallers

I just completed my garage project which included repairing drywall, drywall tape, muddling and taping. I have he ultimate respect for the pros that get this work perfect as I was less than perfect. The garage looks great but seams where I muddled and/or retapped are not. It is the garage and it looks so much better than before but I know that if it was inside the house I will not tackle.

Raising a glass to you pros out there!
Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ranger1227 For This Useful Post:
Sir MixAlot (08-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,578

Re: Great respect for professional drywallers

Amen, @Ranger1227 . I'm 40 years in as a painter and I often have to do some drywall work and I've NEVER, EVER been able to master it well enough to match the work of the real pros like our very own, @Sir MixAlot who is a regular contributor on here.
MTN REMODEL LLC and Yodaman like this.
Sir MixAlot (08-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,136

I have a buddy that used to be a drywall hanger. It amazed me that he could hang a complete house by himself .... and that was in the days before drywall lifts. The 2 neatest tricks he taught me was measuring backwards [if you need 11.5" measure and cut off .5" instead of measuring out 11.5] and setting nails in the board prior to hanging so all you have to do is set it in place, knock those nails in and then you can put the screws in.
Gymschu likes this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 574

One of the things I learned to do that helped me a lot when hanging wall board by myself, was using one of my wife's old lipsticks.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
One of the things I learned to do that helped me a lot when hanging wall board by myself, was using one of my wife's old lipsticks.

MUST

NOT

TAKE

BAIT!
Tymbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,507

For the life of me, unless he teased the workers, not a pretty picture, I can't imagine what lipstick was used for. I'm hoping it was an auto-correct post, but I'm going to set him up. Fish on.

Lipstick Greg????????????
Old 08-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
For the life of me, unless he teased the workers, not a pretty picture, I can't imagine what lipstick was used for. I'm hoping it was an auto-correct post, but I'm going to set him up. Fish on.

Lipstick Greg????????????

Yep, lipstick…

I never could get good at measuring, then laying out electrical boxes on the board and then cutting them out. Especially when there was multiple boxes close to each other.

With me doing my own tape/mud/finish work, I ended up taping/mudding around more electrical boxes with their openings cut too large... than I cared to.

So one day I asked my wife for one of her old, lipsticks she was going to toss. After she laughed at me and asked me if I wanted a color matching skirt and shoes to go with it, I showed her my plan.

I took the red lipstick and made a glob dot on all four corners of the electrical box corners. (or 8 dots if was a octagon box)

Then, I set the board where it needed to be and pushed on the board where the box was located. I set the board down, sawed out between the dots and had a perfect fit around the box every time. Not a pro here, but I was a DIY'er, so its legal.
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 08-11-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:22 AM   #8
retired painter

While I've never done so, I first heard of the lipstick trick probably 30 yrs ago. I always thought they smeared it on the entire outside edge of the box.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:29 AM   #9
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,172

I saw my oldest brother use lipstick back the 50, yes it was for the drywall.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #10
retired painter

Quote:
So one day I asked my wife for one of her old, lipsticks she was going to toss. After she laughed at me and asked me if I wanted a color matching skirt and shoes to go with it, I showed her my plan.

A little off topic, back before paint stores sold straining bags we used panty hose. I had a girlfriend find one in the glove box of my truck and after the accusations and questions I told her what I used them for. About month or so later she came by while I was straining a bunch of old paint for a rental and she said 'you do use them to strain paint!' I had thought she had believed me the first time.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,507

@Gregsoldtruck79

That's a pretty good trick that I'd not hear of before.

Probably will never use it since I use a Rotozip and drywall bit for box cutting.

Before that I used to place a finish nail in the screw holes and push against the board and then trace the box using a template.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #12

It works for DIYers that are skeered of Rotozips like I was. . Just have to be careful when working around other guys and not say, "Wait up ya'll, I have to go get my lipstick".
Old 08-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Yea Greg... if you were wearing your wife's lipstick, I understand why you were working alone........good thinking...
Old 08-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
While I've never done so, I first heard of the lipstick trick probably 30 yrs ago. I always thought they smeared it on the entire outside edge of the box.
I did also until I found when I installed my electrical devices I was getting lipstick on my fingers and not see it sometimes. And then I would scratch my neck or back , and leave lipstick smears on my shirt collar or shoulder. Wanna know how that one worked out for me ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregsoldtruck79 For This Useful Post:
Sir MixAlot (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #15
retired painter

Quote:
then I would scratch my neck or back , and leave lipstick smears on my shirt collar or shoulder. Wanna know how that one worked out for me ?

Sometimes it's harder to explain something innocence than a lie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement