Drywall Sheet Estimation Help - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By Marson
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Yodaman
  • 2 Post By Marson
  • 1 Post By 3onthetree
  • 2 Post By sixeightten
  • 2 Post By Colbyt
  • 1 Post By Marson
  • 1 Post By jaketrades
  • 2 Post By Spyder
Unread 11-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 840

Drywall sheet estimation help

I'm about to start rocking a 1000sq ft apartment with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

I computed my drywall needs to be about 153 sheets of 4x8 x 5/8". (4885 sq ft / 32) Does that sound about right or am I way off?

Plus another 15 sheets for waste = 168 sheets of 4x8.

I'll reduce the number a bit for bathrooms areas where I'll use cement board.

I backed out the doors (7) and windows (7). Should I include the door & window areas, so I can use whole sheets and get less tape joints?

Plan is to get it boomed up to the third floor (3 story building). I have a huge window i can use for access.

How much excess should I get? Also, should I get larger sheets 4x10, 4x12 for larger wall areas? Or just keep it simple with the 4x8's.

In terms of drywall compound:

Plan is to do three coats. 2 with all purpose compound (green) and last layer with light compound (blue).

If I take my sq footage approx 5000 x 3 =15,000.

HD's site say USG mud covers 450 sq ft; 15,000 / 450 = 34 buckets. Plus some extra buckets for waste.

Does that sound like I'm in the ballpark.

Gonna need screws, metal outside corner beads, and tape and mesh. I'll figure that stuff out later.
jaketrades is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,062

Re: Drywall sheet estimation help

Don't back out the windows and doors.

My method for drywall takeoffs is to count sheets. Go into a 12 x 12 bedroom for example. The lid will take three sheets. Normal walls will take two. You might have a door in there...above the door will still be a full sheet, though you might have a chunk next to the door that can use a scrap. Just go through the place like that, counting sheets. Don't forget things like closets. If the back wall is 8' for example, you count that as two 12 footers. The off cuts can do the side walls of the closet etc.

If you can get 12 foot sheets in there, that's usually what you want to use, unless you have very small rooms or are doing stand ups or something. The fewer seams the better.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 23,932

The companies that deliver here will send a salesman out to count sheets for each room and deliver them to each room and the go with what fits, if you have a 13 ft wall you get 14 ft sheets for that. The waste from a 2000sf house would never fill a pick up truck box.
Wile E Coyote and jaketrades like this.
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,856

I would say recheck that, your counts for drywall and mud are high.
Use Marson's room by room method. My 1500 sq ft used about 100 sheets. Don't recall mud pails, probably 10-15 range.
jaketrades likes this.
Unread 11-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #5

I think your mud is high too. I remember one bucket per 15 sheets. Easy enough to get more if you start to run out.
Unread 11-02-2019, 11:02 PM   #6
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 194

5/8" or 1/2"? If you're hanging by yourself, have fun with the 12 footers. Even 5/8"@8' is tiring.
jaketrades likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #7

I think I went wrong with the mud calculation when I took my square footage and multiplied by 3 for 3 coats of mud.

Using @Marson 's mud calc or the 1 bucket per 450 sq ft comes up with about the same number. 10 - 11 buckets.

The way I counted the required pieces of sheetrock is I took my floor plan calculated the square footage of each wall. Added all that up in a spreadsheet. 5128 sq ft = 160 sheets of 4x8. Then I measured the doors and windows and came up with a reduced number. 4885 sq ft = 153 sheets of 4x8.

On thing that I didn't disclose is I have 12 foot ceilings in the front half of the building and 10' ceilings in the back half.

Slightly off topic, but would you hang wall sheets vertically for convenience (4x10, or 4x12s). So the seams would be vertical and not horizontal.

I'll walk the place and count up the sheets using @Marson 's method.

@3onthetree using 5/8". Ceilings I'm doing with a friend and hopefully some of the walls he'll be able to help me with as well. I have a sheetrock lift and scaffolding.

Last edited by jaketrades; 11-03-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Unread 11-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 64

Am I the only one that thinks estimating drywall is the easiest part of this job?
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
Am I the only one that thinks estimating drywall is the easiest part of this job?

Nope. It wore me out just thinking about it.

I sure hope Jake has some young studs to help him out with this.
Unread 11-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketrades View Post
I think I went wrong with the mud calculation when I took my square footage and multiplied by 3 for 3 coats of mud.

Using @Marson 's mud calc or the 1 bucket per 450 sq ft comes up with about the same number. 10 - 11 buckets.

The way I counted the required pieces of sheetrock is I took my floor plan calculated the square footage of each wall. Added all that up in a spreadsheet. 5128 sq ft = 160 sheets of 4x8. Then I measured the doors and windows and came up with a reduced number. 4885 sq ft = 153 sheets of 4x8.

On thing that I didn't disclose is I have 12 foot ceilings in the front half of the building and 10' ceilings in the back half.

Slightly off topic, but would you hang wall sheets vertically for convenience (4x10, or 4x12s). So the seams would be vertical and not horizontal.

I'll walk the place and count up the sheets using @Marson 's method.

@3onthetree using 5/8". Ceilings I'm doing with a friend and hopefully some of the walls he'll be able to help me with as well. I have a sheetrock lift and scaffolding.

12' ceilings? Yes, that will burn up so more rock so maybe your estimate isn't that high.

Are you taping this yourself? 12' standups are fairly common in the commercial world. Easier to hang. You'd probably want some sort of horizontal strapping in that case, like sound channel. Then you'll have this 12' vertical seam that would suck to tape off a step ladder IMO. Not so bad if you have a bazooka that gives you some reach, but more difficult by hand. If your seams are horizontal, even at 8' off the ground, you could just set up a plank. You'll need to get at that upper corner anyway.

You should also include a bag of 20 minute setting type mud. This is for pre filling before setting tape.
jaketrades likes this.
Unread Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #11

I went through calculating the sheetrock using @Marson method. Calculating each wall and scrap accordingly. I ended up with about the same number of sheet as I initially did.

I'm only going to stand up the drywall for short width walls: 48" or less. I'd have to tape that inside or outside corner anyway. In all other cases i’ll run the drywall long side —> horizontally.

I'm using 4x12's and 4x10's on longer walls to minimize the seams.

Hoping I don’t end up with a large amount of extra sheets.
Nealtw likes this.
Unread Today, 11:29 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 162

Sounds like you're now on teh right track. I wouldn't back out for windows and doors. Most times I've seen them cut in place after they're up. Same on the outlets etc.

Honestly, having seen how a drywall crew operates, I don't think I'll ever hang another sheet of drywall myself. the speed is ridiculous. As long as you have a job that is large enough, its totally worth it to have it done. I would be surprised if your job took more than a day or 2 to get the rock up.
jaketrades and Nealtw like this.
Spyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 01:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder;
Sounds like you're now on teh right track. I wouldn't back out for windows and doors. Most times I've seen them cut in place after they're up. Same on the outlets etc.

Honestly, having seen how a drywall crew operates, I don't think I'll ever hang another sheet of drywall myself. the speed is ridiculous. As long as you have a job that is large enough, its totally worth it to have it done. I would be surprised if your job took more than a day or 2 to get the rock up.

What kind of price range should I expect for 1000 sq ft and 3 bedrooms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread Today, 02:13 PM   #14

Drywall sheet estimation help

Itís about 4800 sq of sheetrock. Reading that itís about .50 - 1.00 per sq ft of wall for hanging and taping.

Last edited by jaketrades; Today at 02:40 PM.
Unread Today, 02:59 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketrades View Post
It’s about 4800 sq of sheetrock. Reading that it’s about .50 - 1.00 per sq ft of wall for hanging and taping.

I don't have a definitive answer for you, really depends on teh specifics of the job.
My basement was about 500-600 sqft finished, and another 200 or so unfinished. I had them do the finished side (with 3 closets) and the backs of the wall between the finished and unfinished sides, and the ceilings. I did 5/8s Purple board and the price was around $5K for it, I both can't remember the exact price, or number of boards. That includes the drywall, install, tape and spackle 3 coats. I remember it would have been notably cheaper in 1/2 and regular drywall.

FWIW, I'm on Long Island a suburb of NYC and used Apple Drywall out of East Meadow NY.
If I were you I would call a few places near you who are actual drywall contractors and see what they say. Yeah it costs money to have it hung and taped, but they are super quick, generally make it look good, and let you move on with the rest of your project without the pain. If it were just a bathroom, Its a lot easier to do that yourself, 1000 sqft is a real project

Last edited by Spyder; Today at 03:02 PM.
Spyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement