Drywall DIY? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 12:05 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,347
Rewards Points: 984
Default

Drywall DIY?


Removing all drywall from house we just bought and going to try and drywall myself with a friend. Will hire a taper/spackler. Any tips to do good job drywalling/sheetrocking? I know I did a board or two once and the screws popped out through the tape/spackle/paint. Any reason that happens? THanks.
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-12-2020, 01:03 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,617
Rewards Points: 18,372
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


There called a finisher, not taper/spackler.
5/8" on the ceiling.
1/2" on the walls.
Rent or buy a drywall lift for the ceilings and reselling it on Craigslist if you buy one.
Screws need to set just below the surface. to much and it will pop over time.
I like to use an impact driver, but you could use a drill with special bits that are made to set the screw heads at the correct depth.
The walls should be started at the top, tight to the ceiling and ran horizontal using at least 12' foot sheets so there's less seams.
Take the time to pull a string over the studs to look for bowed studs.
You also want to take the time to shut the power off and remove all the light and outlet covers and the two screws holding them in and pull them out of the box and twist then so one tab sits inside the box and the other one sticks out, no need to disconnect any wires.
Before starting the wall take the time to measure out from each inside corner to make sure the seam falls in the middle of the stud to know which direction to start running the sheets.
Make sure there's "nailers" in the inside corners.
Never have a seam along side of a window or door at the top.
FIY, a real hanger crew can hang a while house in day.
udraft likes this.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-12-2020, 01:07 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,347
Rewards Points: 984
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There called a finisher, not taper/spackler.
5/8" on the ceiling.
1/2" on the walls.
Rent or buy a drywall lift for the ceilings and reselling it on Craigslist if you buy one.
Screws need to set just below the surface. to much and it will pop over time.
I like to use an impact driver, but you could use a drill with special bits that are made to set the screw heads at the correct depth.
The walls should be started at the top, tight to the ceiling and ran horizontal using at least 12' foot sheets so there's less seams.
Take the time to pull a string over the studs to look for bowed studs.
You also want to take the time to shut the power off and remove all the light and outlet covers and the two screws holding them in and pull them out of the box and twist then so one tab sits inside the box and the other one sticks out, no need to disconnect any wires.
Before starting the wall take the time to measure out from each inside corner to make sure the seam falls in the middle of the stud to know which direction to start running the sheets.
Make sure there's "nailers" in the inside corners.
Never have a seam along side of a window or door at the top.
FIY, a real hanger crew can hang a while house in day.
thanks a lot!
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-12-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 363
Rewards Points: 64
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


Have the finisher lined up - some don't like to finish DIY work and may charge more because of having to fix mistakes.
joecaption, Bud9051 and mark sr like this.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #5
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 7,847
Rewards Points: 1,696
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


Quote:
Screws need to set just below the surface. to much and it will pop over time.

It's important that the screw head doesn't go thru the drywall's paper face. You want it depressed but not break the paper.


I learned from a drywall hanger buddy that it's quicker to use nails along the perimeter [enough to hold the board in place] and then switch to screws. Nail pops shouldn't be an issue since they will be covered with tape.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 AM   #6
Member
 
Davejss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern Massachusetts
Posts: 736
Rewards Points: 1,020
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


In the first place, why on earth would you remove all the drywall from your house?
In the second place, you're almost always better off letting your drywall guy do the whole job..hanging the board and finishing. I don't know any tapers who like to finish an amateur drywall job.
In the third place, and this should have been first, I would not use drywall at all. I'd hire a plasterer who will hang blueboard and finish it with skim coat plaster.
It will cost you about the same when it's all said and done. It will be much faster..you don't have to apply three coats with a day of drying between coats. It's much cleaner because there is no sanding. And you get a MUCH better finished product because the entire board is coated with hard plaster, not just the joints and screws.
Get an estimate from a few drywall guys and then get a few from some plasterers. I'm betting you'll go with plaster.
But if you insist on drywall and mud just let them do the whole job. No one wants to try to make someone else's board work look good.
siffleur and udraft like this.
__________________
Trump 2020!
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:29 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 1,634
Rewards Points: 300
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
In the first place, why on earth would you remove all the drywall from your house?
In the second place, you're almost always better off letting your drywall guy do the whole job..hanging the board and finishing. I don't know any tapers who like to finish an amateur drywall job.
In the third place, and this should have been first, I would not use drywall at all. I'd hire a plasterer who will hang blueboard and finish it with skim coat plaster.
It will cost you about the same when it's all said and done. It will be much faster..you don't have to apply three coats with a day of drying between coats. It's much cleaner because there is no sanding. And you get a MUCH better finished product because the entire board is coated with hard plaster, not just the joints and screws.
Get an estimate from a few drywall guys and then get a few from some plasterers. I'm betting you'll go with plaster.
But if you insist on drywall and mud just let them do the whole job. No one wants to try to make someone else's board work look good.
I will agree with you on evert thing except the cost it will mostly double or on the OP's location it could triple.
joecaption and mark sr like this.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #8
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,976
Rewards Points: 2,424
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
In the first place, why on earth would you remove all the drywall from your house?

I have done it to insulate an old home.


No one wants to try to make someone else's board work look good.
That is certainly not true. A good finisher can work miracles with just about any installation, poor or excellent.
__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?
Missouri Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 7,847
Rewards Points: 1,696
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


It's true that a good finisher can make most any hang job look nice BUT he may not be willing to do the extra work that would require extra pay that the homeowner might not want to part with.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Mt Airy North Carolina
Posts: 347
Rewards Points: 692
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


Why would you insulate the outside walls. They are only so thick. You may get R-2 out of all that work. Fill the gaps around cheap vinyl windows, insulate the attic really well. Seal all openings in the attic. Seal well around all the doors. But adding insulation to vertical walls is a waste. Warm and cool air move vertically, not horizontally. I live in a house that is 130 years old. We have the original plaster walls, and would never destroy them to insulate. The plaster walls have about R-7 resistance. If you have wood windows, rebuild them and use bronze guides. This house stays a comfortable 68 average year around without heat or cooling.
__________________
Andrew

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC
HandyAndyInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #11
Member
 
Mystriss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,401
Rewards Points: 4,794
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


I found this set of videos on it quite informative and useful (open in Youtube to see the playlist) -

(and decided I'll let someone else do it so I don't hurt myself :P)
__________________

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:37 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: NY and FL
Posts: 458
Rewards Points: 916
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


I make a T with a long and a short 2x4. Screw a 2x4 cleat on the wall studs down from the ceiling a little. Lift a board, stick one end in the slot on top of the cleat, then put the T under it to hold the sheet while you fasten it.
1/2” works everywhere unless you have some weird framing over 24” on center.
Cut over the top of doors in the middle of a sheet. If you put a seam in line with a door edge slamming the door might crack it.
mark sr likes this.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:49 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 526
Rewards Points: 1,054
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
In the third place, and this should have been first, I would not use drywall at all. I'd hire a plasterer who will hang blueboard and finish it with skim coat plaster.
Yeah, try and find a good affordable plasterer outside New England!

________________________
Any Functioning Adult 2020!!
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:14 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 526
Rewards Points: 1,054
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndyInNC View Post
Why would you insulate the outside walls. They are only so thick. You may get R-2 out of all that work.
No, an uninsulated 2x4 wall (with good air sealing and no windows) is R-2. Wall cavity insulation is R13 to R15. Exterior foam is a different story altogether as it's real purpose is to minimize the risk of condensation inside the wall with that R4/inch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndyInNC View Post
The plaster walls have about R-7 resistance.
No, plaster and lathe layer has an R value of 0.25, so your R-7 magic plaster would need to be about 14 inches thick to achieve R7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndyInNC View Post
Fill the gaps around cheap vinyl windows, insulate the attic really well. Seal all openings in the attic. Seal well around all the doors.
Great advice. Air sealing can make a big difference in comfort. I'd agree that it's more important than just insulating, especially if the insulation is fiberglass. Air seal in the attic first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndyInNC View Post
But adding insulation to vertical walls is a waste. Warm and cool air move vertically, not horizontally.
Well, we should have fixed the air movement with the air sealing, but heat radiates and will go through an uninsulated wall with little resistance (the R in R value!). With a big temperature differential the wall insulation will keep a lot more heat in the house. On a cold day that uninsulated wall will feel cold. That's why the building code mandates insulation in the walls of new construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndyInNC View Post
If you have wood windows, rebuild them and use bronze guides.
Single pane wood windows can be improved to slow or stop drafts, but the temperature differential will make that whole area around the window feel cold and can even create convective loops that feel like a draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndyInNC View Post
This house stays a comfortable 68 average year around without heat or cooling.
IN NORTH CAROLINA!! Try that in Minnesota in winter. Also, most houses probably aren't as well sited and designed as yours.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:17 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 526
Rewards Points: 1,054
Default

Re: Drywall DIY?


Oh yeah, forgot to point out that HandyAndy does have a point about where to spend your money and effort to maximize the comfort level inside your home. Ripping out all the walls just to insulate might not be the best bang for your buck. Get an energy audit and see what they say before you start smashing up your drywall.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts