Difference In Drywall Quality? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 96

Difference in drywall quality?

I'm about to buy drywall to finish our basement and wonder about the quality differences. I have Lowe's, Home Depot, and Dunn Lumber easily available. I'll be buying mold-resistant 1/2". Dunn sells ProRoc for $19 each; Lowe's sells ToughRock for $14 each; Home Depot has SheetRock UltraLight for $14 each.

Is there really a $5/sheet quality difference with ProRoc?

Any different recommendations?
jsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #2

Re: Difference in drywall quality?

Oh - and 5/8" fire rated for the ceilings... $3/sheet difference between Dunn's and Lowe's/HD's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,574

You need to check the Spec. Data sheet as to the different each is made by a different manufacture each has different content added or deleted.
Check the weight per Sq. / Ft. all are different.
Check the fire rating , Flame Spread & ASTM standards see if all are equal.
I am NOT a drywall person I LIKE PLASTER but in my opinion I would go with U S G Sheet Rock Ultralight. There is an old saying you get what you pay for.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #4

To clarify your recommendation, Clarence - the USG SheetRock Ultralight (at HD) is cheaper and lighter (1.36/sf) than Dunn's (1.6/sf). They advertise lightweight as a good thing. Is it? Besides wear and tear on my back, that is...
Old 09-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 922

Not that I'm a big sheetrocker, but the only difference I noticed was that one some very cheap drywall, the factory taper seams had a bulge right next to it, so you had to float the mud way out. I think USG is good stuff though. No idea why it's so cheap.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsand View Post
To clarify your recommendation, Clarence - the USG SheetRock Ultralight (at HD) is cheaper and lighter (1.36/sf) than Dunn's (1.6/sf). They advertise lightweight as a good thing. Is it? Besides wear and tear on my back, that is...
You would have to check all the products used in the production of each type of drywall. When we use plaster products which are the same gypsum used in the drywall product we could use sand & gypsum and get a fire rating but higher weight. Than we could use Perlite , sand & Gypsum & get a better fire rating plus a lighter weight. I have used U.S.G. products & had very good results over a period of 40 years no need to change now. U.S.G is most likely the oldest Gypsum company operating today they must have something going.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #7

Thank you - I'll go with USG. Cheaper and lighter - what's not to like!
Old 09-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,578

Drywall can be such a crap shoot. About 7 or 8 years ago, I bought some at Lowe's for a garage remodel. It ended up being that junk that came from China that would literally fall apart after installation. There was a class action lawsuit from it. Luckily, mine has held up just fine. Seems like the big boxes are constantly changing vendors for drywall so it's hard to gauge quality without consistently seeing the same product. Anyway, USG is a good choice.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 802

If you're talking about Dunn Lumber in Seattle, make sure you register for an account there. You don't need to do the whole credit app thing, just get your name in their system. The reason being that once you're in the system you become eligible for discounts. 2x4s and some stuff don't change, but other things like trim boards and some sheet goods are a bunch cheaper once you have a registered account. I wouldn't be surprised if that sheetrock price dropped for you.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement