Couple Questions About Finishing This Wall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 191

Couple questions about finishing this wall

So here is the situation:

-Removed a door that was redundant in that room, i framed it up with matching studs, and put up new drywall.

-slight issue i had was butt end to tapered end, so i started by filling in the gap of the tapered side to essentially make it a butt joint

-i know i need to feather out a bit to both sides of joints to make it flat, but what do i do in the situation where the 2 joints are about 3' apart?

- also, what do i do about the light switch and cable line to the left of the joint?

rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,268

Re: Couple questions about finishing this wall

Can't tell, have you taped the joints? If not, you should.

I would take the cover plates off those fixtures and start mudding until you have what looks like a smooth surface - might be able to do it without running the mud all the way to either junction box, maybe not. You also may had to fill in the wholl space of the door but no way to know for sure until you dig in.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Can't tell, have you taped the joints? If not, you should.

I would take the cover plates off those fixtures and start mudding until you have what looks like a smooth surface - might be able to do it without running the mud all the way to either junction box, maybe not. You also may had to fill in the wholl space of the door but no way to know for sure until you dig in.
i have not taped the joints and i most certainly will. that was going to be tonights task
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

Should have bedded the tape in the first coat.I remember in your Op suggesting you cut the taper off so you don't have a taper adjoining a butt.With that thick chunk of mud there and no tape in the joint it will likely crack.Especially at the edge or above of a door.
Why would you ask for advice and receive advice from a pro who has been doing this for 40 some years and not follow that advice?
Just curious as that seems to be the norm for many on this forum?
Probably used mesh too?
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Should have bedded the tape in the first coat.I remember in your Op suggesting you cut the taper off so you don't have a taper adjoining a butt.With that thick chunk of mud there and no tape in the joint it will likely crack.Especially at the edge or above of a door.
Why would you ask for advice and receive advice from a pro who has been doing this for 40 some years and not follow that advice?
Just curious as that seems to be the norm for many on this forum?
Probably used mesh too?
please show me where i asked for advice and disregarded it?
you sure you arent confused with another poster old timer?
Old 08-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #6

I could be worng.Just remember a similar post from yesterday where the same question arose about drywalling around a door in a hallway.Most of us suggested cutting the sheet to make a regular butt joint in this situation.
Sorry if I misspoke.
Still wonder why a lot of the folks on this board get some good info from some real pros and disregard it only to do it their own way .Why bother asking.
As far as your project ,you should have bedded some paper tape in that first coat.There is a lot of mud in that tapered edge with nothing to bond or support it.
What type of mud are you using?
I would remove both covers and feather out as far as it takes to make it look smooth.You can run both joints together if that is what it takes.Just a little tricky and takes a little finesse around the boxes.If that is indead your first coat and has no tape with that much mud I would expect cracking.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #7

i wish i knew this stuff prior to, i would most certainly listen to the pros. i do respect those with the knowledge and listen which is why i am here.

is there anything i can do now about taping and getting it connected. the original wall paper is still there. so its half the available. can i wet the paper and try to do like 3 widths or so worth? ill try anything to do it right.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,268

Good point from Mako that I missed - paper tape, not the mesh stuff.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #9

At this point I really would not try and redo it.I would just move on and hope for the best.
You should always tape using paper tape on your first coat of mud.If you must prefill something like a lap to a butt,which I never recommend ,do it with hot mud.Sometimes you just have gaps.I prefill with hot mud move on to the rest of the room and then come back and do that joint last after it's had a little time to set.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #10

would it be worth remove that entire piece of drywall and getting another sheet. my wife would be pissed, but id rather do it right.

drywall isnt too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement