Average Rate For Drywall Finisher? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ron45
  • 1 Post By mark sr

Old 04-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

I'm having a hard time editing this post so I posed my question on the next comment below...

Last edited by RetroJoe_1; 04-16-2019 at 05:50 PM.
RetroJoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

The guy that's been working on finishing the drywall on my first floor agreed to do the job for $0.42 a square foot. It worked out to be around 3500 square feet of sheetrock. In the very beginning when he gave me the quote he told me I didn't have to pay him anything until the job was completely done. He also quoted me $0.35 a square foot to hang the rock but that wasn't including materials. I decided to hang the rock on my own and save myself at least that expense. Knowing that there were 2 elliptical archways and 3 half round archways plus a couple of soffit areas he told me there would be an additional charge of $800 to hang and finish those areas. Since I was the one who hung the drywall he told me he would reduce that rate as well. He would let me know what he reduced it to as he was getting closer to finishing but he said it would be lower. Turned out today he said he reduced it to 600 because the arches "are a lot of work." After doing the math it turns out he is making around $0.60 a square foot for doing the finish work. I have provided all of the materials. Is this a good rate?

He did spring on me the other day that he would really like me to show a good-faith effort and give him 50% all his money since he is already done a bunch of work. I thought this was fair even though I did bring up and remind him that I wasn't supposed to give him a dime until everything was done. He told me that he owed in taxes and could use the extra money. He also mentioned that had he realized the job was going to be as intensive he probably would have charged me more. This all rubbed me the wrong way. Today he told me that he expects to be done by the end of the day Friday. He said tomorrow he's going to finish with the mud and then he will say end on Thursday and Friday, although I did look around and it seems like he's still got a bit more mud work to do. I can see a lot of tape still showing through the mud and creases in the butt joints. I'm okay with giving him 50% but I don't think that I should give him anymore until everything looks seamless and from my inexperienced knowledge it still seems bike there would be more than a day's worth of mud before sanding in some areas?
Attached Thumbnails
Average rate for drywall finisher?-photostudio_1555454148525_1555454324172.jpg   Average rate for drywall finisher?-photostudio_1555454163584_1555454333101.jpg   Average rate for drywall finisher?-photostudio_1555454184392_1555454347385.jpg  

Last edited by RetroJoe_1; 04-16-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,100

Re: Average rate for drywall finisher?

Not sure if there is a question there. Paying a balance when completed and you are satisfied is customary, not an exception. Give him the benefit of the doubt and be prepared to pay when he thinks he will be complete. If he isn't, well you still hold the cards until happy. I don't think the rate is unreasonable for a couple weeks work for one guy.
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Not sure if there is a question there. Paying a balance when completed and you are satisfied is customary, not an exception. Give him the benefit of the doubt and be prepared to pay when he thinks he will be complete. If he isn't, well you still hold the cards until happy. I don't think the rate is unreasonable for a couple weeks work for one guy.
Sorry, yes my main question is .60 sq ft reasonable? 2nd question was from the pics does it seem like he only has one day of mud left? I feel like hes rushing to get done and paid. He told me to get all of the money out of the bank and be ready for Friday. He also went out to his truck and smoked some jolly green at lunch which I politely asked him not to do. I'll feel better when the job is done.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,100

I couldn't tell you whether he will or will not finish on time. But finish coats are light and dry fast, so maybe.

If he isn't completely finished, maybe give him 50% of the bal due, and the rest on completion. Gives him some cash for the weekend, which is probably his concern.

And lets him finish early next week. No need to be defensive, it will just add tension.
Give him the opportunity to do what he said he will do.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,578

Hard to ever give answers to these type of questions. 42 cents per sq ft seems very reasonable to me. In other parts of the country, it would be way too high. Truth be told, you are extremely lucky to find someone to finish drywall these days. The economy is booming and most contractors are buried with work, so just having this guy available is a major win in my book. Give him his 50% and hold the rest until you are satisfied.

In your photos, there are pics of corners. Only one side can be done at a time. That's why one side looks like it's not done. He will get the other sides of those corners on another day.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,724

25% only

When 80% of work is done then give him another 25%

Then another 25% when the work is done.

After a punch out list has been made and completed then give the last 25%.

That way he doesn't run.

Gives you time to completely look over the job before signing off and never seeing him again.
Nealtw likes this.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
I couldn't tell you whether he will or will not finish on time. But finish coats are light and dry fast, so maybe.

If he isn't completely finished, maybe give him 50% of the bal due, and the rest on completion. Gives him some cash for the weekend, which is probably his concern.

And lets him finish early next week. No need to be defensive, it will just add tension.
Give him the opportunity to do what he said he will do.
I'm really not trying to be defensive and I'm sorry I'm coming across that way. I've been very understanding with him since he has been showing up hours late every single day and then smoking marijuana on my property. My main gripe is that he's trying to change the terms of our agreement halfway through. Originally I didn't have to give him a dime until the entire job was done and I did a walk-through. I met a few days ago he's asking me to give him 50% as an act of good faith. Now he's telling me he wants 100% by this Friday when he finishes sanding and that doesn't even give me a chance to go and do a walk-through. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable because I feel like I'm being pressured for money and not getting a chance to make sure that I'm happy with the product. The original schedule was he was going to be finishing up next Tuesday. Today he told me that he was going to finish on Friday and then I can schedule the painter for Monday. He knows I'm going to be holding back the extra amount that he wants for the soffits and archways until after the prime check so he seems to be rushing the paint job. I think based on what everybody is telling me $0.60 a square foot which is what It ultimately adds up to is probably not that bad. I just don't want to give him all of his money on Friday and then have him not come back.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
25% only

When 80% of work is done then give him another 25%

Then another 25% when the work is done.

After a punch out list has been made and completed then give the last 25%.

That way he doesn't run.

Gives you time to completely look over the job before signing off and never seeing him again.
I think you're probably right on the money. I think 80% of the work has probably been done minus the very final coat and sanding. He's worked at my house on and off for a total of 5 days with an average of 5 to 6 hours per day. I feel comfortable giving him a total of $750 of the total $2,100 that he is asking 4 on Wednesday. He wants another 750 on Friday when he's done sanding. But this doesn't give me a chance to make a list of anything that I want corrected. He seems to be wanting to save all the corrections for after everything gets primed. I would rather have everything corrected before paint goes on. At least as much as possible. And then any other incidental stuff corrected after. I'm not sure how to exactly approached him on this since he seems to be getting defensive and desperate for some money.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #10
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
He seems to be wanting to save all the corrections for after everything gets primed.
IMO there is nothing wrong with that as some defects in the finishing won't be easy to see until a little paint is added. I would not pay him in full until the job is finished and you are satisfied with the results. Holding back 10-20% is normal. That gives him incentive to come back and keeps him honest.
Yodaman likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Quote:
He seems to be wanting to save all the corrections for after everything gets primed.
IMO there is nothing wrong with that as some defects in the finishing won't be easy to see until a little paint is added. I would not pay him in full until the job is finished and you are satisfied with the results. Holding back 10-20% is normal. That gives him incentive to come back and keeps him honest.
What if there are obvious Corrections that I can see ahead of time? For example, I can still see some butt joints that could use some more mud because the creases showing in the tape. There are also a number of screw holes in the center of the wall that could use more mud. If I see some of this is it better to notate it now and correct it before priming? I don't want to say anything until he's done with his final coat of mud in the event that he ends up filling it in.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #12
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,152

When he's ready for 80-90% check, point those spots out. Unless it's minor he'd likely repair them then.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 5,532

Not to sound harsh but I think this should be posted on a psychological forum, not a DIY forum. After all, you don't have a DIY question, and it all centers on how another human being is making you feel uncomfortable and pressured.

Money wise it's quite simple. Pay him if and when you're satisified with the job. Jobs don't exist to fit into this "contractors" timetable of getting paid on time so he has enough weed for every weekend. (I put "contractor" in quotes because he is unprofessional and there certainly seems to be no contract). Jobs exist because a homeowner wants something done and the contractor is there to satisfy that need.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement