Add Soundboard And Sheetrock To Existing Wall For Better Soundproofing? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Other Foot

Old 06-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
1 Foot in the Grave

Rewards Points: 14
Send a message via AIM to Other Foot Send a message via MSN to Other Foot Send a message via Yahoo to Other Foot

Add Soundboard and Sheetrock to Existing Wall for Better Soundproofing?

The apartment owner is going to convert the next door apartment's garage into a bedroom for that apartment. That room shares a common wall with my main living space. I stay up late nights (really late) watching videos, listening to music and have the occasional coughing/hacking jag associated with lung disease that is gross enough even for me. And the new neighbor who will be sleeping in that room on the other side of my wall may also be doing things in there other than sleeping that I might not want to listen to. So, additional soundproofing is the reason for this post.

Several years ago, I removed all of the sheetrock from that side of the wall when I had to replace the water heater. I'm the property manager and we were between tenants at the time, so it was a good opportunity since previous tenants had occasionally used that garage for partying. I filled all the stud bays with Roxul Safe & Sound bats and put 5/8" sheetrock up, then mudded all the seams and screws. It definitely improved the sound transmission, but making that room a bedroom is making the issue more acute.

The owner will not approve adding another wall, spaced a half-inch from the existing - the room is too narrow, he says. But he will allow an additional layer of 5/8" sheetrock applied directly to the existing sheetrock. I'm wondering if sandwiching a layer of half-inch sound board (unfaced cellulose foam board insulation with sound barrier) between the existing wall, on top of the existing sheetrock and another layer of 5/8" sheetrock. The owner will go for that, if it will work.

Will it work? Any other alternatives?

Thanks for any guidance.

Jim
Other Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,016

Re: Add Soundboard and Sheetrock to Existing Wall for Better Soundproofing?

There are products that claim to work.

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
1 Foot in the Grave

Send a message via AIM to Other Foot Send a message via MSN to Other Foot Send a message via Yahoo to Other Foot

Thanks Nealtw. I've used Green Glue before, but it's not available where I live except through Amazon, etc. Not sure there's time to order it before the owner begins that project. It's also quite a bit more expensive than the soundboard too. I'm hoping someone will reply who is familiar with it and can tell me if the soundboard will be as effective as Green Glue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Foot View Post
Thanks Nealtw. I've used Green Glue before, but it's not available where I live except through Amazon, etc. Not sure there's time to order it before the owner begins that project. It's also quite a bit more expensive than the soundboard too. I'm hoping someone will reply who is familiar with it and can tell me if the soundboard will be as effective as Green Glue.
The only sound board I know of is 1/2" thick and I think resilient channel works better with the screws not going in the same studs.

Or are you talking about sound break, the purple drywall?
Old 06-10-2019, 02:43 AM   #5
1 Foot in the Grave

This is Sound Board, Unfaced Cellulose Foam Board Insulation with Sound Barrier from Lowe's. It's half-inch thick and I was thinking to use just a little silicone caulking to stick it to the existing sheetrock long enough to get another layer of sheetrock over it. I would stagger all the seams.

To provide some nailing surface for baseboards, I would rip some cheap 2x3 lumber to the same thickness as the soundboard and sheetrock and nail it to the bottom of the wall before installing the soundboard and sheetrock, then put those 2 layers on top of the board's edge. The sheetrock would require 2 or 3" screws - long enough to go through 2 layers of 5/8" sheetrock and a layer of " soundboard and into the studs.

I hope that does what it should to reduce sound transmission.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:08 AM   #6
retired framer

You might be interested in this.
https://www.diychatroom.com/f49/cust...roughs-648899/
Other Foot (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:02 AM   #7
1 Foot in the Grave

The SoundBreak XP is a product I used in my bedroom almost a decade ago, which shares a common wall with a different apartment. I don't remember where I got it, but I can't seem to find a source for it near me now. I live in the sticks, 80 miles from Reno, NV. Google links to Lowe's for it, but it shows as not available in the Reno stores and not available for delivery. I'll have to check the local lumber yard tomorrow, but they are typically 30% higher than Reno prices and SoundBreak is already at a premium price.

Add Soundboard and Sheetrock to Existing Wall for Better Soundproofing?-soundproof-sheetrock101114-06.jpg
Nealtw likes this.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,347

Pick up some MLV?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
1 Foot in the Grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Pick up some MLV?
Pretty pricey stuff.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,347

You get what you pay for.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
1 Foot in the Grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
You get what you pay for.
True, but sometimes you get overcharged.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #12
retired framer

Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #13
1 Foot in the Grave

That's certainly one of Matt's earlier shows - no "on the BUILLLD Show" ending.

I was glad to see that just adding an additional layer of sheetrock (adding mass) can help. The clay pads he used are familiar to me. Last Spring I started a remodel of my bathroom, which shares a common wall with an apartment next door (I am sandwiched between 2 apartments). I mitigated the sound transfer by using 5/8" sheetrock with Green Glue Noiseproofing Sealant on both sides (the neighboring apartment was vacant, so I took advantage). I also used the clay pads around all the electrical and water supply boxes and put Roxul Safe-n-Sound bats in all the stud bays.

Add Soundboard and Sheetrock to Existing Wall for Better Soundproofing?-bath-remodel-soundproofing05.jpg

This new project is converting a garage, so there's no electrical boxes along that wall on the other side. The wall is also already covered with 5/8" sheetrock and I installed Roxul Safe-n-Sound bats before I put up the sheetrock. Now we're just going over the existing. The owner has approved the layer of half-inch fiberboard and another layer of 5/8" sheetrock over that. It seems like adding that mass will definitely help. It might not be soundPROOF, but it will probably reduce the sound transmission considerably. What will also help is the owner's decision to add a 8 or 9' closet on that 12' wall, leaving only the far end of the wall exposed. And that space will likely get a dresser (my guess).

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
sound proofing , soundproofing