Not Google - How To Guides - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > How To Guides

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2016, 01:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 332

Not google

Now that google has become advertising only, is there someplace to get information that does not show ads only?

I need some information about glycerine antifreeze. All google shows is where to buy glycerin antifreeze. google is a waste of time. What search engine has information and few adds?

Advertisement

Last edited by fireguy; 01-02-2016 at 01:07 AM. Reason: spelling
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 6,128

Not google

How did you come to that conclusion?

I did a search using your criteria and got advertising...but also info.....and based on your 'limited' criteria, one would assume you were trying to buy same.

If I'm to understand your mindset correctly....you are using a 'free' browser and expect to get 'free' information?

Have you by any chance noticed that 'free' TV includes advertisements? In fact, Cable TV that you pay for also includes advertisement.

But just in case your getting 'too' much advertising, make sure you don't have malware. The most common one is 'Conduit'. It's a real ba$tard. Go into your settings and look at add on's and see what it's showing for your home page.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

Not google

I typed Wikipedia in the search line and got this info. with no nonsense. Is this what you be looking for?

Glycerol

Once used for automotive antifreeze, glycerol has the advantage of being non-toxic, withstands relatively high temperatures, and is noncorrosive.
Like ethylene glycol and propylene glycol, glycerol is a non-ionic kosmotrope that forms strong hydrogen bonds with water molecules, competing with water-water hydrogen bonds. This disrupts the crystal lattice formation of ice unless the temperature is significantly lowered. The minimum freezing point temperature is at about −36 F / −37.8 C corresponding to 60–70% glycerol in water.[12]
Glycerol was historically used as an antifreeze for automotive applications before being replaced by ethylene glycol, which has a lower freezing point. While the minimum freezing point of a glycerol-water mixture is higher than an ethylene glycol-water mixture, glycerol is not toxic and is being re-examined for use in automotive applications.[13][14] Glycerol is mandated for use as an antifreeze in many sprinkler systems.
In the laboratory, glycerol is a common component of solvents for enzymatic reagents stored at temperatures below 0 C due to the depression of the freezing temperature of solutions with high concentrations of glycerol. It is also used as a cryoprotectant where the glycerol is dissolved in water to reduce damage by ice crystals to laboratory organisms that are stored in frozen solutions, such as bacteria, nematodes, and mammalian embryos.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Not google

Ant the quality of Wikipedia varies greatly. Some articles are great, well researched and documented. Others sometimes appear to be but show a lot of "editorial" content.
Yes, sometimes the top results in a Google search show paid hits at the top of the list (Google has to makes its billions somewhere) but scroll down below the paid hits. The only ones sponsoring a paid hit are likely those who are selling something. Doesn't make sense to pay for something that isn't going to earn you a return.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,620

Not google

Consider using a "privacy search engine" such as https://startpage.com/ instead of Google. The BIG G never sees your search, and you can use Start Page's proxy servers to connect to any of the search result web sites.
ZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 85

Not google

Other than Bing, I'm not sure of any others. I am sure there are a few out there, just don't know them. When Alltheweb.com went away (which was a no frills, no ads search engine) I begrudgingly started using Google. You do usually have to wade through results that you don't want, but it isn't bad.

Your results also depend on how you phrase it in google (or any other search engine for that matter). If you just put in "glycerine antifreeze", yes, you will get where to buy antifreeze as top results. Phrase the search on what you want to know - what is glycerine antifreeze, etc. Even using quotation marks around your search phrase can sometimes help. Wish I could be of more help.
Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6

Not google

I think Ixquick is relatively ad free.
asevereid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,620

Not google

Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
I think Ixquick is relatively ad free.
Ixquick is now StartPage.
ZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 6,128

Not google

bing is owned by MS

But Google has the broadest public search data base and your odds of finding what you want is better. You just have to know how to format your search criteria

It's also worth pointing out Google has one of the best DNS lookup DB. That is the one I use.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,324

Not google

Google Chrome with AdBlock Plus add on gets rid of the pop up ads.

The first few results are paid ads and most browsers use them. Ever tried Yahoozer. They are the worst IMO. Non stop ads and hijackers.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,388

Not google

It's Bling , not bing.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #12
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 3,098

Not google

My biggest grip is that my default browser keeps getting switched from Google to what ever. Bing, Yahooee, DuckDuckSomthing or Wicki. I have to keep changing it back.

But also running Firefox with AddBlock Plus. Adds are not a problem. And everything runs faster

Advertisement

please use your imagination to fill in any missing or miss-spelled words!
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote