Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > How To Guides

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Share |

How to replace the trigger valve on a Bostich Nail Gun.

Replacing the trigger valve on a nail gun is a very simple process that only takes about 15 minutes. OK so the first time I took it out it took me a half hour but then I took two extra roll pins out that I did not need to.

In the package you get the new valve, instructions (I found confusing), grease for the O rings, and a punch to drive out the roll pins.

How to replace the trigger valve on a Bostich Nail Gun.-whats-package.jpg

Here is a picture of the old valve "green" and the new valve "white". You will notice they have changed slightly. The new style go's in without a problem. Hopefully it is more durable that the old style.

How to replace the trigger valve on a Bostich Nail Gun.-gun-valves.jpg

Reference the picture, you only need to remove two roll pins. One is for the trigger and the other is for the trigger valve assembly.

How to replace the trigger valve on a Bostich Nail Gun.-nail-gun-assembled.jpg

Once you remove both roll pins, you must pry out the valve assembly, you can easily do this with a screwdriver. There is a pry point to locate your screwdriver.

How to replace the trigger valve on a Bostich Nail Gun.-valve-pry-point.jpg

Once you get the old valve out you simply install the new valve. Make sure you apply grease to the O rings and make sure the slot is lined up so the roll pin can go in.

How to replace the trigger valve on a Bostich Nail Gun.-nail-gun-valve.jpg

All that needs to be done now is reinstall the roll pins. The trigger one was a little tricky to get lined up. Use the punch on one side as you start the roll pin on the opposite side.

The job is now complete and you have saved yourself about a $100 bucks.

I paid about $35 for the replacement valve including shipping. I only checked a few sites, one had it for less but was out of stock. I chose not to wait and paid the extra $7 so I could get it right away. If I did not need it right away I may have chosen to wait.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be

Last edited by brokenknee; 11-14-2009 at 07:51 PM.
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Safe, Most of the Time!!

I just thought I would add that I did have the valve assembly apart. Most people think that just the O rings need replacing. When I took the assembly apart I found little pieces of brown plastic in the valve. (See Picture)

I was not able to determine where this came from or see the source it could be in the schematic. I did reassemble after I cleaned out the plastic pieces but it still leaked. The best I could figure it must have been some type of seat for the O ring.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for the info and pics. i got it done in about 5 minutes, sorry it took you so long. im just kidding, but thanks again. you saved me alot of money and aggravation.
jerandsimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerandsimone View Post
Thanks so much for the info and pics. i got it done in about 5 minutes, sorry it took you so long. im just kidding, but thanks again. you saved me alot of money and aggravation.

It took me longer than that to get the parts out of the bag.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

Hi Folks,
New to the forum but not to framing.
Being that Im currently working in argentina , where everything ismended with snot and wire....
I need to order the valve for my old framing nailer.
Problem is , it has no part number , so , Im tossing around whether its a tva 11 or a tva 6 valve.
Could anyone tell me what the dimensional differences are between the valves so I can beter identify the correct one ?
The bostich framing nailer does not have any discernable part numbers.
Is there anyone brave enough to make out the model I have should I post pictures ?
Thanks !
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #6

Hi Fabe,

I looked forever for a model number on my bostitch also. On my gun it was on the left side of the gun (if it is pointed away from you) on the main yellow body of the gun right behind where the nailhead bolts on. it had a slightly raised ridge with a few numbers stamped on it. hard as @#$%^ to find.
hope this helps.
aaronj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Just had to replace the trigger valve on my N80SB, which uses trigger valve # TVA11. Before I replaced it, I took the new trigger valve apart to look at the valve stem and to compare it to the old part valve stem. Regarding the seal that seems to dry out and crumble on the old style part... The new part has the same seal area as the old part and both measure the same where the O-Ring seats. The new part O-Ring will work in the old part. So I went to my local hardware store and bought an O-Ring and installed it on the old style valve and it worked great. When your trigger valve stops working because of air leaking all you need to do is replace the O-Ring, which costs about $1.00 compared to a new valve that costs about $30.00. Here are the O-Ring measurements for the O-Ring on the valve stem that seats against the inside bottom of the valve body: OD = 0.420; ID = 0.270; Thickness = 0.075. To replace the O-Ring: 1) with the trigger valve removed from the nail gun, remove the valve stem by pushing out the 2 pins that hold the valve stem in the valve body; 2) clean O-Ring groove on valve stem; 3) install new O-Ring (make sure you add light coat of proper grease to O-Ring); 4) insert valve stem back into valve body making sure you line up the holes for the pins; 5) insert pins; 6) reinstall valve.
LazyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyDay View Post
Just had to replace the trigger valve on my N80SB, which uses trigger valve # TVA11. Before I replaced it, I took the new trigger valve apart to look at the valve stem and to compare it to the old part valve stem. Regarding the seal that seems to dry out and crumble on the old style part... The new part has the same seal area as the old part and both measure the same where the O-Ring seats. The new part O-Ring will work in the old part. So I went to my local hardware store and bought an O-Ring and installed it on the old style valve and it worked great. When your trigger valve stops working because of air leaking all you need to do is replace the O-Ring, which costs about $1.00 compared to a new valve that costs about $30.00. Here are the O-Ring measurements for the O-Ring on the valve stem that seats against the inside bottom of the valve body: OD = 0.420; ID = 0.270; Thickness = 0.075. To replace the O-Ring: 1) with the trigger valve removed from the nail gun, remove the valve stem by pushing out the 2 pins that hold the valve stem in the valve body; 2) clean O-Ring groove on valve stem; 3) install new O-Ring (make sure you add light coat of proper grease to O-Ring); 4) insert valve stem back into valve body making sure you line up the holes for the pins; 5) insert pins; 6) reinstall valve.
Great write up,...but I cannot visualize where the replacement O ring goes..Would you have a picture or a schematic,
regards,
savutano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by savutano View Post
Great write up,...but I cannot visualize where the replacement O ring goes..Would you have a picture or a schematic,
regards,
I dont even own this gun, but its pretty clear that the O-Rings go on the valve body, which slides into the cylinder in the gun casting, unless you are referring to something altogether different? I would put super lube grease on the O-Rings prior to insertion of the valve, and make sure the cylinder is absolutely clean.

This is a great little write up except for some of the really small text.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #10

U culd Google:
Make, model technical manual dowlnoad free

And that shulf giv u places to download pdf with exploded view.

*Li'lGet
LilGet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #11

what were the symptoms of your dead trigger? I have a bostitch narrow crown stapler that just hisses air when i pull the trigger.

JustinNY is offline   Reply With Quote