Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > How To Guides

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Painting Pro

Share |

How to Prepare for an Interior Paint Job

The results of properly painting a home are incredibly rewarding. When done correctly, a quality paint job can be transformative - from drab and dreary to polished and chic. A well-planned and perfectly executed painting project enhances a home’s value, is aesthetically appealing, and will protect a home from future wear and tear.

Follow these steps to prepare your home like a painting professional!

Begin by photographing the room! This allows you to put back everything in its proper place upon completion of your painting project. You may laugh, but believe it or not, people often forget where items and furniture were originally placed. This saves a lot of headaches at the end.

Then cover and protect items that can't be easily moved. This insures that your property is cared for throughout the entire painting process.

Painting can be messy. Although paints (even water soluble latex paints) are relatively easy to clean up, once dried, paint allows for no errors. Everything must be protected from potential spillage so spills and spatters can be harmlessly thrown out with the waste at the end of the job.

First, the protection of furniture and décor needs to be addressed. Smaller items such as books, pictures, artwork, and memorabilia are removed from the room for safe keeping. Medium items are consolidated with heavy immovable items, and everything is covered with fresh plastic and clean canvas drop cloths. Electronics and audio-visual equipment are carefully covered with clear plastic and sealed with tape. Repeat the covering and taping process to insure that these delicate items will remain protected throughout the painting process.

Floor protection is next. Hardwood and carpeted floors alike are covered with plastic and spill-proof drop cloths. Borders along baseboards and radiators are sealed with tape to protect all surfaces and exposures. Ducts are covered and masked so dust and odors are contained.

Electrical plates and hardware are removed where possible or alternatively covered with removable tape. Everything that is removed is carefully labeled so we know where to put them back. Attach screws, nuts, bolts, and any hardware back in their holes, or tape them in place so nothing gets lost. Window treatments should be removed where possible and always be kept covered and protected.

Painting professionals make absolutely certain every square inch of our customer’s home is protected. Then and only then do they begin painting. If you want your paint job to look professional, follow these steps. Good luck.

Painters CT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Painters CT For This Useful Post:
garethcooper9 (07-17-2012), Mort (07-17-2012), user1007 (07-09-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #2

Great post. Sometimes people think they will be careful and not make a mess but they are always wrong. I know that from experience. I have spent hours cleaning up paint stains. You should always protect and cover as much as possible. Taking photos before starting is new to me though. Might be useful next time I decorate.

garethcooper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

I would be very leery about putting drops on top of plastic
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-30-2014)
Old 06-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #4

Thanks for sharing this preps for interior painting. I would take these in mind for my next home re paint.
roofingquotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #5

Thanks for the Great thread!
eliciasam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Thank you that I found your thread.I really am working on searching for tips on interior painting and I have tight budget so, your thread really helps me in deciding.
ptlandscape is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ptlandscape For This Useful Post:
KateMarie (09-09-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #7

I like to paint the inside of the switch plate too. This way if I have to get it matched for some reason, I have a big, easily transportable sample to take in. Be sure to note the sheen.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Sorry, just realized I'm repeating myself in another thread. I'll go drink a beer in penance.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Very informative and I will follow these steps.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #10

I'm awful at painting, i think this should help me. Appreciate it.
mbender2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painters CT View Post
Begin by photographing the room! This allows you to put back everything in its proper place upon completion of your painting project.
Such a good idea, and so easy now with cell phones. Actually this is such a good idea for any project, especially ones involving customers. Not only can it be used to show the current customers, or potential future customers, the nice before/after, but it can also help you avoid disputes about how things were (especially photograph any existing problems.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painters CT View Post
Electrical plates and hardware are removed where possible or alternatively covered with removable tape. Everything that is removed is carefully labeled so we know where to put them back. Attach screws, nuts, bolts, and any hardware back in their holes, or tape them in place so nothing gets lost.
I always put this stuff in Ziploc bags, but for some reason it never occurred to me to leave the screws in the holes, which is the best idea. This was suggested to me by a $10/hr worker once!
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-30-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKat View Post
I like to paint the inside of the switch plate too. This way if I have to get it matched for some reason, I have a big, easily transportable sample to take in. Be sure to note the sheen.
This is such a great idea. If it were industry standard, we'd be in business. Unfortunately, no one leaves this behind for me, and if I leave it, no one would know to look in the future.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #13

Great information. Always amazing how many people try to go without drop cloths.
elbowgreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #14

A well-planned and perfectly executed painting project enhances a home's value, is aesthetically appealing, and will protect a home from future wear and tear. Painting professionals make absolutely certain every square inch of our customer's home is protected. Then and only then we are ready to begin our painting work!

garykerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior paint, interior painting