How To Install Drop Or Suspended Ceiling. - How To Guides - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > How To Guides

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

How to install drop or suspended ceiling.

This was the first time installing a drop ceiling I watched this video prior to doing the install. http://youtu.be/PAvDlRbTHoI
Planning prior to making any cuts for the main runs is essential as you don't want to have a short edge on one side of the room and a long edge on the other side of the room try and make the edges similar for aesthetics. A mistake that I made is that I went to close to the floor joist I only left about 2 to 3 inch gap between the drop ceiling in the floor joist I would recommend leaving at least 4 inches as it was difficult getting a lot of the tiles in place.
The first thing that I did was go around the room with a 4 foot level and mark off for the J channel (piece that is screwed into the wall) I believe it's called. I measured and cut two main runs perpendicular to the floor joist. When you measure and cut the main runs they have a spot for the cross pieces every 6 inches use these to calculate your edge sizes. On one side of the room I had had a 21" x 17 piece I need a set of the room and of having a 20 x 17" piece. I attached the 4 foot and 2 foot pieces to square everything up. I used 2'x2' tiles and I added insulation into the floor Joyce for soundproofing from upstairs. Project took approximately three hours to complete.

Advertisement

Last edited by jigger; 11-12-2014 at 01:31 PM.
jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 548

Looks good.

One thing though that I noticed made it easier to get the tiles in, was to place them as you go along.

Put up the angles on the walls, put up all the mains, then as you put in the 2' or 4' cross pieces (in your case 2' is your only option), put the tile into the space as you go along. You only have to "work in" the last row.

None the less, all that matters is that it's done and looks good....and yours does.

Advertisement

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

I forgot to mention that I did remove some cross pieces and placed tiles then replaced cross pieces. It would have been easier your way as getting the cross pieces out once they are clicked in they are very annoying to get out.
jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 548

Yes they are . Doable, but a big PITA.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote