Winterizing Sliding Patio Doors - Green Home Improvement - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 239

Winterizing sliding patio doors

We have a nice Loewen wood framed, triple glazed, 3-panel patio door. Just one panel slides and it has an exterior screen door.

The door is about 13 years old, and the seals have worn. When we have South winds, we can feel the air leaking through. We had one window/door company look at it, but they could not get the seals. Will keep looking!

Second problem, is that snow sometimes blows into the space between the screen door and the sliding door. When it melts, water leaks in through the seal onto the inside wood frame and flooring below.

Has anyone seen a solid replacement for a regular sliding screen door? We don't use the door in winter, so were even thinking of just cutting a piece of plywood to size. But would prefer a neater solution! Any ideas?

For this year, we may try and seal outside of main sliding door with Peel'nSeal caulking. But is already kind of cold for sealant to work.

Advertisement

lakeresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 444

Re: Winterizing sliding patio doors

I'd hunt the Interweb for the Loewen site and contact them (I did a quick check and their Canadian office is in Oakville.

It's been a while since I've owned a slider but they've never been great for cold climes - I think it's just part of the design. You might be able to glass panel to replace the screen, either from Loewen or custom made. The one problem might be the weight - the little bogies the screens usually run on probably aren't built for glass.

Re the leak, failed seals might have a lot to do with it, but check to see if there are any little drain holes or channels in the jamb and if they are blocked or otherwise filled with crud, bugs, etc. Since you don't use it off-season, if all else fails you could jam some weatherstripping, backer rod or something similar along the bottom track just before winter.

A sheet of plywood would look pretty crappy and you'd have to figure out a way to mount it (more holes). I don't think that PeelnSeal stuff is meant for exterior use.

Advertisement

lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 PM   #3

I did check the Loewen website and saw that they had storm panels for swinging type patio screen doors. The sliding type have obstructions - 4 short tubes, probably for the bogies plus a handle.

Have thought about using a clear acrylic panel with flap type seal around edge that would just push into the frame on outside of sliding door. Might need a frame to prevent breakage.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 444

You might consider checking to see if they have replacement seal kits for your door.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
You might consider checking to see if they have replacement seal kits for your door.
We will be doing that in Spring. Right now, after looking at various quick-fixes that can be done in winter, I am going to caulk outside with Peel'nSeal (slightly warmer weather is forecast) as stuff in whatever will fit on to inside openings.

Leaving in a few days so got to her done!