Weather Stripping For Front Door - Green Home Improvement - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

weather stripping for front door

My house has had (copper? brass?) weather stripping on the front door since it was build. Over the years, with various work done on the door (locks changed and readjusted, alarm sensors installed and replaced, staples popped, etc) the weather stripping no longer lies nicely so there are gaps. I have not had much luck straighten it to its original look.

Since I don't know much about this metal weatherstripping, is it worth replacing the affected areas with the same type? or is there something better I should be installing, if I decide to replace? What is the current best I can buy, where look is important (it's a front mahogany-colored solid wood door, so I am not going for an industrial look here).

Advertisement

injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 170

You can buy a new stop molding (the wood strips the door shuts against) with a modern type rubber, vinyl, or even magnetic weather strip set into a groove in the molding. These will seal up far better and will look much nicer than any add on weatherstrip. You should be able to find the molding at any lumber yard.

Here is an example with a picture
http://www.portaseal.com/prod02.htm

Advertisement

iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamrfixit For This Useful Post:
injvstice (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 29

I will look for those. I like the idea.. I suppose I can paint the wood part to match the door finish? I wish they left it bare so I can stain it... but then again, getting a perfect stain match with pine would be a challenge in of itself.

This metal insulation drives me nuts, I am not sure how they can expect metal to make a perfect seal... maybe I'm missing the point.. and the house is supposed to be energystar, for whatever that is worth.
injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Luxury Mahogany Doors

Rewards Points: 10

You should be able to buy vinyl weather stripping from a internet company online. Just google "vinyl weather stripping" or something like that and you can pay by paypal and they will ship to you.

I would use the bronze vinyl type of weather stripping since you have mahogany wood doors. This is what we use and give to our customer when they purchase the mahogany doors from us.
DecoDesignCente is offline   Reply With Quote