Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Solar Convective Heater Question(s)?

So,

I'm working on building a solar "air" heater for my work shop. It's something I've looked into for a few years, and finally decided to quit procrastinating on & get assembled this winter in my slow time. As far as design, dimensions, and function, I think that I have that pretty well covered. Afterall, I've had plenty of time to plan this out in my head.

To give some details of what I'm doing, I'll explain a little bit. I'm building two "boxes" approx. 6' wide by 12' tall each, to go into an existing 12' by 12' OH door I currently have on the South wall of the shop. I don't use this door much in winter, but it will be hinged for the few times that I will need to use it. As well, in summer I plan to simply open the solar "doors" for the season so that I'm not allowing any additional heat into the shop. The building walls are constructed of 8" CMU (concrete block), and are also furred out about 2.5" on the outside, so I have a fairly deep opening for these "doors" to fit into.

The depth is where I have a few question:

- My plan is to cover the inside of the box in corrugated aluminum coil stock, leaving the screws somewhat loose to allow for expansion. Is there a better product/material/method?

- I'll be left with an 8" cavity inside of the box. I really don't care for the whole "glued together beer can" method. I've thought about using either thin gauge steel studs, or possibly even some aluminum coil stock "tri-angles" vertically in the cavity. Is there a better way?

- I'm still considering using two layers of black window screen inside the cavity for additional absorbtion of heat. Good idea?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you fellow members may have.

On edit, I forgot to post a picture:

Solar Convective Heater Question(s)?-dsc00827r.jpg

Last edited by jomama45; 01-03-2011 at 08:07 PM.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 79

If you have the $$, you could use aluminum gutter stock. Good heat transfer and it lends itself to channeling the airflow. Use some hi-temp flat black grill paint and it is a heat sponge.

ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

just saw one of these on instructables the other day

http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-Heater/
Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Use double pane glass too, that will probably help a lot. I've thought of doing this on my basement windows actually. Right now they have foil over them (to dether thieves from seeing inside) so if I'm going to block it, may as well catch the sun's heat and not repell it.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Thanks for the advise guys, but I actually have the "panels" built & in place. I just need a solid sunny day to give them a good test. As of now, I can see a few things I'd like to alter already to get a little more efficiency. I took some pics, and I'll put them up a little later once I get them off of the camera.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I've thought of doing this on my basement windows actually. Right now they have foil over them (to dether thieves from seeing inside)
really, or are you one of those paranoid types that thinks the foil will prevent aliens from beaming in signals....