Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Solar Attic Fan?

I just purchased a new home in north Dallas,Tx (Lennar Home) We have some pretty hot summers around and I would like to get a bit more efficient with my cooling needs. I was thinking of getting a solar attic fan to help cool the temp in the attic. My realtor told me that the 4 attic vents are more than enough to keep my attic cool. Like I said, the house is brand new (October 2008).
I guess my questions is....
Would it be a good idea to get a solar or electrical fan put in the attic to help my A/C work a little less?
Also, some people talk about having too much circulation in the attic that can cause a negative effect (sucking my cool A/C air into the attic). My house is approx 1900sqft. Thanks for the help!
-Bob

jazzscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #2

Solar Attic Fan?

An attic fan will reduce attic temperatures in the summer, reducing the heat transferred to the conditioned areas of your home and also the heat transferred to any air conditioning equipment or ductwork in your attic.

There is a good calculator on this site you can use to size your fan: http://www.solar-attic-fan-info.com
You also need to make sure you have adequate free inlet area (soffit vents, ridge vents, gable vents) to let fresh air enter the attic to replace the air drawn out by the fan. If there is not enough free inlet area, the fan may draw air from the conditioned areas of your home, and you don't want to lost that air you paid to heat or cool.

stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Solar Attic Fan?

Hi,

Electric fans have slightly more power then the solar fans of the same size.

4 vents does not sound like enough.
Leftyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Solar Attic Fan?

Agreed, the solar attic fans are much lower powered than their AC-powered equivalents. My gut feel says you would need eight solar fans rather than four, but without knowing a lot more about your house it is difficult to say for sure.
mboxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #5

Solar Attic Fan?

Bought 2 gable fans, exhaust 1 to the north and 1 to the south drawing 800 cfm out each way. It has dropped the up-top heat drastically. Yes, a hard wired fan does move more air, but I've had mine running 3 years now and have had no problems. Solar panels are mounted out of site at 65 degrees in a SSW direction.
DaveB1963 is offline   Reply With Quote