Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

A light with no switch - Funny

Hi all. This stairwell light is hard wired into my home's electric. (pic attached). The second photo is the outlet in my laundry the light is hard wired into where the romex pokes out the wall.

Since I moved into the home a few months over 2yrs ago its always on because it has no switch. It has a 60watt equivalent CFL bulb and I have never replaced. That I know of it's over 17,500 hours and counting on this regular old CFL bulb.

I have a killa-watt power measuring unit I've used on a lamp with a like bulb. The unit measures the watts at 11.5 watts with a yearly cost of 11.37/year at my utility's rate of 11.8 cents/KWH. I think 60w equivalent bulb packaging usually say they're 13 watts, but close enough.

I have looked into a timer but they tend to run more than $20 plus the work to wire it up. If you know of cheap timers or other ideas! Mainly I thought it fun to share because it has annoyed me enough to give it so much thought. :-)

Thanks!
Attached Images

Mrdippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm thinking I would put a smaller lamp in there too. It seems to be quite bright. It is intended to provide lighting for the steps when it's dark otherwise. A little light goes a long way when all else is dark.

and if $20 is too much for a timer, well, I can't offer much that would be cheaper.

Ideally I would use a photocell control or even a proximity sensor but they would be both more difficult and more expensive than a timer.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd put some conduit around the exposed Romex, too.....

Gary
Old 01-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 91

What's the problem? You have a "switch" at the panel, don't you?

That is classic though, thanks for sharing.
JoeLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

If you really think you need a light, I'd put in a lower wattage bulb.

For $10 you can put in an outlet, and buy something like this that uses well under 1w (it says it takes $0.02 per year to run).

http://www.amazon.com/AmerTac-71282-...507685&sr=1-12

I have one similar, and it puts out more than enough light when it's dark.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #6

I was in a local hospital today with the same kind of built in slanted wall fixtures(one in each room) and noticed they have a little flat circuit board with rows of white LED lights that screw into a normal bulb socket. I snapped a photo trying to get my camera phone to view up the slots. I'll have to look into how many watts one of them uses!
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2011, 01:57 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

I was going to suggest converting it to LED but looks like you hit upon the idea already. but you'll prolly spend more than $20 doing so.
Kingstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

With timers being 20+ dollars and silly little wiring projects always taking far too long for me to do than they should I'm not afraid of a $30 price tag. I checked mcmastercarr and am going to check grainger for what I saw at the hospital. So far haven't found a similar led bulb replacement. Maybe the hospital had them custom made...(?) Having the led bulbs on a flat panel/board really directs the light perfectly towards the slots, and no labor - just screw it in.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

We have a hardwired fluorescent fixture above our rentals kitchen sink (i put it in, there's no window, but they had the wiring there)... I installed and switched it on in 2007 shortly after we moved in, it has remained on since except for power outages a couple of times per year.

I leave our front porch CFL on 24/7 in the winter because it takes too long to warm up to be useful manually switched, and I've been telling myself that the timer will cost more than the usage before we move (we are in a rental).

At the new house I put I timer in... Dual fixtures 40W ea, faces toward neighbors, so I want them off by midnight...
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper
If you really think you need a light, I'd put in a lower wattage bulb.

For $10 you can put in an outlet, and buy something like this that uses well under 1w (it says it takes $0.02 per year to run).

http://www.amazon.com/AmerTac-71282-...507685&sr=1-12

I have one similar, and it puts out more than enough light when it's dark.
I have one in our bathroom... I'd say it's not enough light for steps... All it allows me to do is find the actual light switch...
Old 02-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

replace it with one of THESE for $10 with a built in photocell. they give off a good amount of light