Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
home improvement guru

Share |

Green is the New Black

The green movement is certainly upon us these days and itís important to understand exactly what this means. While Iím not going to sit here and preach about he current state of our environment, itís quite apparent that the world (United States certainly) needs to start making some serious changes if we want to sustain our quality of living for future generations.

The green movement has made its way into the home improvement and construction industry, which is a great thing. While other markets or industries may come and go, homes and business arenít going anywhere. Shelter is a necessity of life so making home improvement and construction more environmentally friendly is very important to making going green work. Green home improvement is always evolving and expanding so Iíd like to dedicate this thread to being almost a directory of eco conscious home improvement ideas and projects. Post information or new ideas that you think will help homeowners and construction contractors both in doing their part to saving the environment.

Iíll start it off with the most mainstream green home improvement subjects with very brief descriptions.

Solar Power Systems

The most commonly known form of green home improvement, solar power systems convert the Sunís radiant heat energy into usable 120 volt power for the home. Solar energy can also be used to heat water, which again cuts back on energy usage. Homes that only use solar power are said to be ďoff the gridĒ.

Energy Efficient Windows

As the title states, many new windows are designed to be as energy efficient as possible. They allow the Sunís rays to enter which helps with heating while at the same time keeping an airtight seal between the outside world and the interior of the home or office.

Green Remodeling

While remodeling is fairly new to the green movement, general ideas can be instituted here. Contractors should use as much recycled and readily renewable resources when constructing. Using non-toxic paints and sealers not only help the environment but wonít have fumes which can be dangerous to the health of everyone involved.

The biggest part is appliances. Usually new appliances are added when a kitchen, bathroom or basement remodeling project is started. This is where you can really do your part, energy efficient appliances are everywhere just look for the blue energystar to see what each is rated. Go with lo-flow toilets and sinks. The best way to make your remodeling project a green one is by being conscious with the amount of natural resources you use. Reducing your energy and water consumption is your best bet

HVAC Ė Heating and Cooling

The easiest and most cost efficient way to help your HVAC system is to replace itís filter frequently. A clean filter will not only take more pollutants out of the air, making your air quality much better, but it will also keep your heating and air conditioning system running as optimally as possible. This means a reduction in the amount of energy needed to keep your home its desired temperature.

Flooring

Many recycled and renewable flooring options are now available along with some that have been around for years. Bamboo and cork are great flooring materials which can give your home the unique look youíve been looking for. Carpeting can also be quite eco friendly. Many types of carpeting are synthetic and can be recycled quite easily. Check out designs, styles and colors to find a green friendly flooring option just right for your home.

Resources and Links:

http://www.ecohomesite.com
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006..._home_impr.php
http://www.greenhome.com
http://www.greenhomeimprovements.info/

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-25-2008 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Business Web link Removed
aaron.klimchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
the Musigician

Green is the New Black

do you mean if we go green we might actually be able to stay in the black? for us it's all about saving $$$!!!

great post aaron

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
home improvement guru

Green is the New Black

Hey if staying in the black, especially these days, does it for you...then sure!

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-25-2008 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Business Web link Removed
Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #4

Green is the New Black

Hi Aaron,

Never enough focus, IMO, on incorporating 'greeness' into home reno's.

Solar Air Heating

Not brand new, but installed on the outside of south facing walls or roofs, these devices use the sun to help generate heat for the home during sunny days. We just received ours and our hoping to have it installed by the end of next week.

Solar Charged Lawn Mower

Gas mowers are amongst the most polluting devices home owners can use. We used a new model this past year, sold at HD under the Solaris lable, which can use a 2 ft X 2 ft solar panel to charge the batteries so no poluting emissions during operating the mower or charging it.

Exterior Solar Shades

Applied on the outside of south, east and west facing windows, these simple devices stop most of the sun's UV rays from reaching the windows let alone entering the home causing excessive heat build-up during the summer. We tried them for the first time this year and were very pleased. The ones we bought off the internet were easy to install and reduced the reading of our temperature guage by 15 F degrees.

Energy Audits

In Canada there is the ecoENERGY Retrofit program providing energy efficient home renovation grants based on before and after energy audits. We had the 'before' one done last winter and learn a lot. In the States, many local utilities offer them for free and help the home owner prioritize home reno projects with information about energy inefficiencies from an independant party.

Those are my main energy conservation projects this year that we have and are writing about on our home web site.

References:

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 11-02-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Web Link Removed from Signature
Educator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:46 AM   #5
What can I find here?

Green is the New Black

Cellulose Insulation

Cellulose Insulation is one of the greenest products in the world.
Made from a renewable natural resource which diverts waste from landfills, Cellulose insulation not only limits greenhouse gas emissions during manufacturing, but also prevents waste paper from releasing environmentally harmful gases as it decomposes.

• Cellulose takes less energy to make than any other insulation material.
  • Cellulose has the highest level of post-consumer recycled content in the industry - up to 85% recycled newspaper. Paper is the largest component of landfills and producing Cellulose insulation diverts waste from the landfills thus saving valuable space.
  • Cellulose insulation prevents the release of greenhouse gases (methane) as they decompose in landfills.
  • Cellulose insulation can naturally break down after its useful life unlike fiberglass which does not. In the event of a natural disaster, only non-toxic, biodegradable material will be spread around for clean-up and not something that will never decompose.
  • Cellulose insulation can be locally produced. Using local recycling programs and independent recyclers and servicing communities close to home brings new meaning to the old slogan “Think Globally, Act Locally.”
Rain Barrels

Recycle nature's own! Your landscaping will benefit from the natural rain water and it will alleviate the costs of water utilities. Use it for your indoor plants too.

Last edited by Winchester; 10-25-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #6

Green is the New Black

We decided to remodel our kitchen. I wanted to reuse & recycle as much as possible.
I was hoping to donate my old cabinets, but that was not possible. I was able to save all the doors & drawers and donated them to the Salvation Army. As well as the counter, old stove & fridge.
Almost everything I have purchased is used. I got an amazing set of almost new cabinets for $800 There were 11 pieces in the set & they are really nice. Ceiling fan, stove, fridge, etc... all top of the line - but used, so they are a fraction of the cost of new. There are some things that had to be purchased new, such as drywall, insulation, tile, electrial & plumbing, but bought them from Habitat For Humanity.
Online, I found someone selling a 12 ft. long stainless steel counter with a double integrated sink, for 80% less than what it would be, as a special order. It is brand new, never installed, because it was not made to the correct specifications.
We will refinish the hardwood floors, instead of replacing them. Spray painted the hanging lamp, over the table, to go from brass to pewter. I am building my own kitchen island.
Our 12 x 17 kitchen was gutted, and our trash pile was so small that we didn't even need a dumpster. The more you can keep out of the landfill, the better.
The entire kitchen remodel will be less than $2000
Kat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #7

Green is the New Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.klimchuk View Post
The green movement is certainly upon us these days and itís important to understand exactly what this means. While Iím not going to sit here and preach about he current state of our environment, itís quite apparent that the world (United States certainly) needs to start making some serious changes if we want to sustain our quality of living for future generations.

The green movement has made its way into the home improvement and construction industry, which is a great thing. While other markets or industries may come and go, homes and business arenít going anywhere. Shelter is a necessity of life so making home improvement and construction more environmentally friendly is very important to making going green work. Green home improvement is always evolving and expanding so Iíd like to dedicate this thread to being almost a directory of eco conscious home improvement ideas and projects. Post information or new ideas that you think will help homeowners and construction contractors both in doing their part to saving the environment.

Iíll start it off with the most mainstream green home improvement subjects with very brief descriptions.

Solar Power Systems

The most commonly known form of green home improvement, solar power systems convert the Sunís radiant heat energy into usable 120 volt power for the home. Solar energy can also be used to heat water, which again cuts back on energy usage. Homes that only use solar power are said to be ďoff the gridĒ.

Energy Efficient Windows

As the title states, many new windows are designed to be as energy efficient as possible. They allow the Sunís rays to enter which helps with heating while at the same time keeping an airtight seal between the outside world and the interior of the home or office.

Green Remodeling

While soapstone is fairly new to the green movement, general ideas can be instituted here. Contractors should use as much recycled and readily renewable resources when constructing. Using non-toxic paints and sealers not only help the environment but wonít have fumes which can be dangerous to the health of everyone involved.

The biggest part is appliances. Usually new appliances are added when a kitchen, bathroom or basement remodeling project is started. This is where you can really do your part, energy efficient appliances are everywhere just look for the blue energystar to see what each is rated. Go with lo-flow toilets and sinks. The best way to make your remodeling project a green one is by being conscious with the amount of natural resources you use. Reducing your energy and water consumption is your best bet

HVAC Ė Heating and Cooling

The easiest and most cost efficient way to help your HVAC system is to replace itís filter frequently. A clean filter will not only take more pollutants out of the air, making your air quality much better, but it will also keep your heating and air conditioning system running as optimally as possible. This means a reduction in the amount of energy needed to keep your home its desired temperature.

Flooring

Many recycled and renewable flooring options are now available along with some that have been around for years. Bamboo and cork are great flooring materials which can give your home the unique look youíve been looking for. Carpeting can also be quite eco friendly. Many types of carpeting are synthetic and can be recycled quite easily. Check out designs, styles and colors to find a green friendly flooring option just right for your home.

Resources and Links:

http://www.ecohomesite.com
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006..._home_impr.php
http://www.greenhome.com
http://www.greenhomeimprovements.info/

While soapstone is fairly new to the green movement, general ideas can be instituted here.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-28-2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Advertising Link Removed from Signature
ALICIA21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #8

Green is the New Black

I get all my lumber, windows, doors, flooring, HVAC, paint, foundation supplies and more all used, overstock, mismatched, over ordered, wrong sizes bankruptsy, going out of business, or any other reason.

Much of it is free and if I pay it is 10 cents on the dollar or less.

I do it cause I am a cheap a$$.

Used lumber is not allowed if it has holes in it or does not have a grade stamp on it. Screw 'em, I use it anyhow. I don't need to have to pay an lumber grader to come out and tell me that the lumber is okay to use and have it stamped. The cost for me is too much. Besides I can tell when a board is good for structural or not. I spent years in the woods falling timber and know when I see a bad board.

I get OSB from construction sites that toss out large pieces. My sheet rock is the same and I use that for patching sections where a full size is not needed. It's all free.

Green for me is cheap. I have been doing this for decades and now I have to compete with everyone else to get this stuff. I still get the deals but I have to make alot of offers to get the same stuff I did a few years back. Lumber is the hardest. Missized windows are easy since most people just buy the new ones at HD or Low's.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #9

Green is the New Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Rain Barrels
Recycle nature's own! Your landscaping will benefit from the natural rain water and it will alleviate the costs of water utilities. Use it for your indoor plants too.
In some areas rain barrels are illegal because the rain that falls is under the jurisdiction of the city or county. That is the case in many places in Oregon.

I collect rain water anyhow. Let them come and mess with me. Not only do I save rain water I use it for toilet water which is illegal. It is filtered to keep it from clogging up the valve in the toilets.

Plus I drain my tub/shower into the back yard to water the trees, lawn and garden. This is also illegal but I do it anyhow.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:10 AM   #10
the Musigician

Green is the New Black

i hear ya there Marvin, we too recycle just about anything here, but not 'cause we're cheap, we're...'financially challenged' (gotta stay PC)
when my kid's goldfish outgrew it's little bowl, i built a new tank. silicone, glass scraps, and wood framed in oak and walnut. (many of my projects combine the two, as i have a lot of it) i pull cherry, maple, etc. logs from the woodbox that look 'interesting', then cut, shape, and plane them to store until needed. i also bought 4 trees worth of roughcut 14'x13"x1" and some 2" thick planks for $150 from a guy near here that was 'going to' someday use them for flooring. i got around 50 planks of white oak, red oak, and 2 walnut trees worth. so far i've created 5 lamps, some boxes, and a beautiful oak/walnut door for the wood storage box next to the woodstove. i plan on doing mostly pocket doors and i will most likely create them from that wood. we try to purchase as many supplies as we can from auctions and habitat for humanity as possible. i invented and installed a unique way of heating our entire home with our little 20" woodstove that has saved us thousands on propane. most likely it would not pass an inspection, although "I'VE" deemed it safe and have used it for 3 years now. our first year we had to fill the propane tank twice and went through many truckloads of firewood. the last 3 years, no fillups at all, we only had to add 200 gallons this summer as we needed it for cooking and 200 was their minimum. by 'capping' off, i can get the bathroom up to 80, 90 degrees in sub-zero weather, and also get a nice hot towel to dry off with. imagine a hair dryer on high blowing all day long. it kinda works lke that. i designed and built my own coffee table with free oak and free tempered, etched glass my father gave me. we pay 'full price' for very little. i purchased 10 solid oak cabinets from a guy for $20.00 each and refinished them and they look brand new! (he paid 45 each at auction) i will attempt to find time today and take pics of all these things (except the heat system) for you guys to see. there's so much more i could add, but this post would turn into a novel.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #11

Green is the New Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post

I do it cause I am a cheap a$$.

Green for me is cheap.
Hi Marvin Gardens,

I hear ya. I don't like wasting money either.

Yesterday we installed our solar air heater, the device which uses direct sunlight to generate heat. In our case we are using it to help heat the 1,700 sq. ft. basement.

Free heat. No polluting emmissions or consumption of non-renewable resources like home heating oil or natural gas.

Cheap is the new green.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 11-02-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Site Link Removed from Signature
Educator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #12

Green is the New Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator View Post
Hi Marvin Gardens,

I hear ya. I don't like wasting money either.

Yesterday we installed our solar air heater, the device which uses direct sunlight to generate heat. In our case we are using it to help heat the 1,700 sq. ft. basement.

Free heat. No polluting emmissions or consumption of non-renewable resources like home heating oil or natural gas.

Cheap is the new green.
When the sun comes up I think $$$$$$$. When the wind blows I think $$$$$$.

All my neighbors give me their cardboard to burn and I can heat my house for 2 days on all of that.

There is a remodel going on across the street and I get all the left over wood that normally would go in the dumpster and I burn that also. I figure that I will have a 3 month supply and save at least $500 in fuel costs.

I had some property that had a year round creek on it and I damed it up and ran a car alternator to power my home. That was 30 years ago before all this was the rage.

I was cheap then, and I'm cheap now.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #13

Green is the New Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
Plus I drain my tub/shower into the back yard to water the trees, lawn and garden. This is also illegal but I do it anyhow.
How did you do this. Do you have the grey water going into some sort of tank then pumping it out to a sprinkler or is it just gravity fed? Im guessing you have a crawl space under your house? Im interested in doing this when we build our house.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #14

Green is the New Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
How did you do this. Do you have the grey water going into some sort of tank then pumping it out to a sprinkler or is it just gravity fed? Im guessing you have a crawl space under your house? Im interested in doing this when we build our house.
It's gravity. The main floor tub/shower is about 4 feet above grade. We have a basement.

I put in a valve so that if the anti-green city comes out and tells me I have to change it out I just flip the valve and it goes into their precious sewer.

I am in the process of using rainwater to fill the tub. I have to get more filtration to make that happen.

My goal it to get a 1000 gallon tank in the ground and save all the rain water so I can use nothing but rain water for everything except drinking. Originally I was going to use the attic of my garage and that is why it is made of 2x8 studs and 2x12 joists all on 12 inch centers. People who know constriction always look and ask me about that.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #15
home improvement guru

Green is the New Black

It's great to hear all these ideas are working for you Marvin. While most homeowners won't take going green to your extent, we can only hope that they start thinking about the future.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 11-12-2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed From Signature