Convert Roof Shingles To Driveway Pavement - Green Home Improvement - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

convert roof shingles to driveway pavement

I am about to re-shinghle my roof and am trying to go as 'green' as I can in this day and age. I thought simce I'm getting my roof re-shingled this summer, why not save the shingles and have my dirt driveway surfaced by converting the shingles.
I was curiuos if anyone had an idea of how I coudl go about doing that or if it's even possible.
Cheers and hello from Nova Scotia!

Advertisement

timmyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

You want to cover your driveway in shingles? Not too sure how you would go about doing that and make it look good.

Advertisement

joel v. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

Around here, any bituminous or asphalt type of material has to be recycled. Can't bury it nor otherwise hide it.

I think your heart is in the right place. But the green thing to do is to take it to a recycler. They'll chop it up and add it to road pavement.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyv View Post

I am about to re-shinghle my roof and am trying to go as 'green' as I can in this day and age. I thought simce I'm getting my roof re-shingled this summer, why not save the shingles and have my dirt driveway surfaced by converting the shingles.
I was curiuos if anyone had an idea of how I coudl go about doing that or if it's even possible.
Cheers and hello from Nova Scotia!
Lots of people just put them down in the driveway. I have also put them down under fences and as edging around outbuildings so that I don't have to trim. Think of it as carbon omissions from my weed eater

You need as much overlap as you'd have on the roof or grass will grow through. Grass will also grow through the nail holes. They will move around until the hot summer sun sets them in place.

I got them free from a roofer, he was happy to let me dig through his dumpster because he has to pay to take them to the dump. They aren't recycled into anything around here. As with anything, use common sense.
espuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is the driveway at least a 3/12 pitch?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #6

Never thought of putting then in a driveway. If you cant waste manegment takes then to recycle.
texas115115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
FlyingHammer

I'm wondering if you could just chop them up and spread them like gravel, but I can't think of an easy way to do that offhand.
FlyingHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

the nails that your sure to miss should provide nice traction too...win/win
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
DIY Junkie!!

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHammer View Post
I'm wondering if you could just chop them up and spread them like gravel, but I can't think of an easy way to do that offhand.
I lived in Phillipsburg, KS for a while. There is a Royal Brand shingle factory there, and they offered the part of the shingles that were wasted when the "tabs" were punched out of the 3-tab shingles free to the surrounding residents. Many driveways were paved this way and they were quite durable.

Check with your Chamber of Commerce and see if there is a manufacturer of composite shingles in your area that would give you their 3-tab waste. It works, the only thing you have to do is take your own truck there (they were loaded into the trucks by a conveyor belt)and then shovel them out and rake them smooth at home before they have a chance to heat up in the sun and clump together.

It looked like asphalt after a few weeks.

Cheers from Dugly
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #10

My father has a camp in Pennsylvania and a guy at another camp did his whole dirt drive them 25 years ago. About 2 months after he put them in the county made him remove them. Said they are a fire hazzard and this was in the boonies. Would be like lighting a pile of tire on fire.
diypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #11

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Using the shingle as a driveway may be "green" in some twisted way, but recycling is more prudent.

Dumping on the ground and driving over them is not really good for the environment considering what will be leached out.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 AM   #12

Hi! Yes, it is possible! Shingles must be shredded to be used successfully for any road application such as driveway pavement. You may check this site for more details about recycling shingles. anr.state.vt.us/dec/wastediv/recycling/shingles.pdf

Advertisement

charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert , driveway , roof , shingles