Adding Tankless Water Heater With Hot Water Tank - Green Home Improvement - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Adding Tankless Water Heater with Hot Water Tank

This might be a dumb consideration, but I'll ask anyway

I'm considering of building a Utility room in my garage that would contain my HVAC Unit (Building Inspector Recommended this) and Hot Water Heater. My existing washer/dryer area is adjacent to my galley kitchen. Have to go through kitchen to get to washer/dryer. Thinking less objectionable to have washer/dryer area down in the basement in a finished utility room vs off the kitchen.

I'm considering adding a tankless water system to use with washer/dryer but have read about problems with them concerning how long it takes to heat water to an acceptable level. Understand it can take 3-5 gallons of water before temperature gets to acceptable temperature for a washing machine. Would it make sense to reduce the temperature for my existing hot water heater to say 80-90 degrees or lower and then use the tankless how water heater after the water heater to raise the temperature the 20-40 degrees for showers, dish washing washer etc?

I've read about builders install 10 gallon hot water tanks to solve the raise in water temperature problems, but I've got a 40 gallon hot water tank.

Appreciate any opinions. Don't think I want to increase the size of hot water tank as that IMHO is dying technology and won't be long before Fed. Gov't makes regulations against using them.

Advertisement

cterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,220

A properly sized tankless in ng or lp will not take but half a minute to come up to temp, the delay on getting hot water many times is the long pipe run to the faucet from the unit, but that is not the units fault, hot water heater or tankless....

Advertisement

WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for the reply

Would it make a difference if it was an Electric Tankless Water Heater? Natural Gas or LP not avail.
cterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,220

electric doesnt seem to have the same recovery that the gas units do, you would be better off with an electric water heater, if your renovating the house, you can put in a hot water return from the furthest hot water line in the house and make a circulating loop for the hot water, so you dont have to wait for the cold water to be pushed out by the hot water before you get hot water at the faucets or tub..
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote