Your Opinions On These Roofing Materials? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 504

Your opinions on these roofing materials?

We have some roofing bids. One wants to install 'polyglass elastofex SAP SBS modified SA cap sheet', the other wants to install 'ply 4 GAF-GLAS fiberglass 11# plysheets embedded in hot asphalt. What are these materials? Is the second one a built up roof?

Advertisement

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

Option 1 is a self adhered (peel and stick)

Option 2 is a BUR

We do not do those systems, I like the torch applied mod bits in a 3-ply systems (nailed base, smooth mod bit with a granulated top layer). I wish we did some single ply but the boss is set in his ways.

If I had to choose 1 or 2 it would depend on if there is any standing water at all on this roof. If so, I would probably go option 2. Flat roofs around here rarely drain and the drains are usually the high point of the roof lol...hope yours is the exception.

Roof system aside, I would be as concerned about who is doing the work. check your roofers out, lots of hacks around.

Advertisement

AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,044

#1 Peel and stick is only good on roofs with some slope. Even then a two ply system is iffy. I would do the nail base then the SA ply base, then the cap.

#2 How many layers of felt any base sheet? On a house with wood deck? Any cap sheet? Roof surfacing?

#2 is a better roof system, depending on what they are doing. I'm assuming house, if so I would have a glass base sheet nailed down first. Every house we mop a roof on gets a nailed base first, no exceptions. The asphalt will go through the gaps in the plywood. In fact even in precast concrete decks get 12-18" wide strips back moped and flopped over gaps.

Now this is where is gets tricky and it all depends on if they are going to do a gravel surface or coat it, and how many plys of felt. We don't count the nailed base as a "ply".

If your going to use a gravel surfacing, I'd go with 3 plys of felt then flood coat and gravel. Or a 2 plys of felt and a smooth cap, flood and gravel.

Now if it's going to be coated you could do the same thing, but I would prefer the 2 plys of felt and a smooth cap sheet with the Coating. The thicker cap sheet will offer a little more protection.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
CRCA Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Before I answer your question you'd have to give me more detail. What kind of project is this for? A residential home? A garage? A commercial building? How long do you plan on living/working/owning this building? There are many, many options out there beyond what you have stated. There is TPO, EPDM, PVC and more. The others have stated correctly, the first option is a self adhered membrane while the second is a BUR. The SA is generally for small residential projects only and not approved for large commercial/industrial roofing. The BUR is a proven system that works on commercial/industrial/residential roofing but there are much cleaner options as well.
RoofingTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoofingTrades For This Useful Post:
Roofers Advice (04-26-2014)