Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Share |

Yet another ridge vent question.

Got a small apartment house I need to put a roof on. I've done roofs before years ago and will have a more experienced friend over to help.

The existing set up is a gable vent at each end, no soffits or ridge vents. An induction motor fan was installed at one end to blow air out and it works ok for moisture. It's set up to turn on and off at 85 degrees. The gable end vent does not really lend it self to use with a fan.

Due to the way the building was constructed, it would be difficult to put soffit vents in. The roof is too low to get out there from the inside, and insulation is in the way.. I would like to get rid of the existing fan since the tenant pays for the electricity although induction motors are supposed to be pretty efficient. From reading this web forum, it seems that a ridge vent with just gable end vents will not work well

My thoughts at this time is to forget the ridge vent, and to modify the gable vent the fan is located at in order to make it easier for air to blow out, as well as change out the existing fan for a solar powered fan.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

ECB ESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

bad move. Gable fans are not good! you can use shingle vents (under the first row of shingles) in leiu of the soffit vents. or spray foam the roof for proper insulation and then no venting is needed at all.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Post up a picture.

There are a bunch of way to get intake air into the attic.

I am not a huge fan of shingle over vents but they do work.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

A gable roof will be easier to work in than a hip roof.

You oughta be able to get someone who is fairly spry to pull back the insulation blocking the rafter chutes, install rafter chutes, and plug up the hole with some fiberglass insulation.

The last one I did, I found a long piece of 1/2 electrical conduit up there, with a curve on one end about a foot long. On the curved end, there was an old awl wired on. I honestly don't know what it was used for, but I took the awl off and used it pull the fiberglass out of the way of the rafter chute, then to stuff pieces back in after I had stapled up the rafter chutes. It was lighter than a rake and the curve on the end was useful.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

"plug up the hole with some fiberglass insulation" Use something else. fiberglass A.K.A. FilterGlass will not stop any air flow at all.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #6

The purpose of the fiberglass insulation is to block the cellulose insulation from going down into the soffit. It will get about 16" of cellulose blown in over it.

One could stuff some plastic bags down there, newspaper, etc.

I've seen some funky paper inserts designed to fill the gap left by a rafter chute.

Everything is going to be tough on a retrofit. Easy to jam the fiberglas down there with a pole.

What do you use to fill the gap?

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote