Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #1

Share |

WOW high roof bids (with pics)

so we are going to be replaceing our ceder roof next summer and are in the process of getting some quotes.

I have gotten 2 so far and I was shocked to find both bids were more than i expected house is 2100 sq feet not sure the exact size of the roof.

Company A quoted us 14k to do new 30yr comp roof and said that they would not need to put down plywood that the current structure would accommodate.

Company B quoted us 16k for 30yr comp and said they would put down plywood backing.

I realized that it would be a little more because of the steep roof but 16k seems a little high.

Are we just getting bogus quotes because nobody wants to tackle this style roof or is this legit?

linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Did either contractor get on the roof or try to look at the decking from below, even though it would be difficult to gain access with that type of construction?

Judging from the age and the obvious deferred maintenance, current debris accumulation and problems with valleys, it makes sense to assume new decking if you expect good guarantee. The detail of the existing conditions can determine what will have to be done for a good job.

You are right about the roof pitch because it increases the square footage of the roof surface AND increases the problems and labor cost above a normal roofing job. The chimney also needs some repairs and a good cap.

Cleaning the valleys and especially the gutters will do wonders for the life of the new roof.

Get another bid and pay attention to what they look at, since it is always easier to throw out a low price and go out of business before there is a problem. Also, question them on what they propose for valley flashing/installation.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
KemoSabe

What's under the shakes? Are either of them going to flash the dormer/valleys/chimney properly? Is either company properly insured? Roofers WC rates are very high around these parts.

I wouldn't recommend going over shakes, although I've seen it done. To do that roof professionally, neither of those numbers seem overly outrageous to me, assuming proper insurance being held.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #4

Ask how many square's they figured. I have never paid more than 300-350 per square, remove and replace including dumpsters.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #5

Thanks all for the reply's

the pics were from when we first looked at the house before we bought it. Part of the requirements we had as buyers was that they fix the chimney have the roof/gutters cleaned and any leaks patched. It really looks much better now other than the shingles are cupping on the back side of the house.

Both companies are insured and both went in to the attic to see under the roof. our Inspector, the company that cleaned the roof/fixed the chimney and both roofing companies that did the bids said they saw no evidence of leaks. (surprising)

Under the shingles is another layer of shingles in much better condition so it's about 4 shingles deep.

The companies did give us info on sq footage and what they planed on doing for the valleys and flashing's, I'll see if i can find it and post.
linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #6

Unless you know the exact square footage of the roof surface instead of the living area square footage, we would all just be guessing on if the prices are within line.

Since both companies are only a bit more than 10 % from each other, at least they are very close.

If you have multiple layers it compounds the difficulty factor form the tear-off and if the bottom layer is also cedar shingles, then you more than likely have spaced board skip sheathing, ie; plank boards with about a 2" gap horizontally between each subsequent board.

Then new Plywood decking would definitely be needed.

Now that becomes cumbersome because there is an extra guy on the ground full time to cut them to fit and you have alot of valleys.

What about the risk factors, not only due to the steep pitch, but also in the event that bad weather rolls in unexpectedly and the roof tear-off in progress needs to be made water-tight immediately and all of the liability issues that come up with that scenario.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #7

Bump.

Just curious as to what transpired with this project.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #8

i am curious as well
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
40+yrs Paint Trades

Bids are like rear ends, every roofer has one and they all smell like doody.

Last time we replaced our roof I got bids from 11k to 3800.00! 4 Br tri level with attached garage, tear off 2 layers some plywood replacement and install 30 yr architectural shingles. Now I'm sure that 11k guy was fishing, but he would have took the job if I had bit.

Wound up with the MOR bid of $4300.00 from a construction superintendent who was running a crew of Mexican roofers on the side. (Due to hail, there were LOTS of new roofs in our area that summer.) They came out, were competent, cleaned up every day, and got the job done in good order.

Keep looking for bids and check references.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoz49 View Post
Bids are like rear ends, every roofer has one and they all smell like doody.

Last time we replaced our roof I got bids from 11k to 3800.00! 4 Br tri level with attached garage, tear off 2 layers some plywood replacement and install 30 yr architectural shingles. Now I'm sure that 11k guy was fishing, but he would have took the job if I had bit.

Wound up with the MOR bid of $4300.00 from a construction superintendent who was running a crew of Mexican roofers on the side. (Due to hail, there were LOTS of new roofs in our area that summer.) They came out, were competent, cleaned up every day, and got the job done in good order.

Keep looking for bids and check references.

What a good honest American you are.
Who's the "doody"?
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
40+yrs Paint Trades

Ouf ta! Ya fer sure, you betcha...
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #12
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
What a good honest American you are.
Who's the "doody"?
Your words are falling on deaf ears my brother.

I had a guy 'Cal' who is part owner in a security company in Canfield, Ohio brag to me about how he hired "3 letters ->" XXX Roofing because he was/still is running a crew of illegals and went on to explain how neat, fast and cheap they worked.
I see him frequently because we both do a lot work for the same GC's/builders here in the Mahoning, Columbiana and Trumbull Counties.
He's always one of the first to complain about high cost of insurance, taxes, etc., and has no idea/won't except that people like him play a large part in causing those high cost.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
MJW (12-12-2010), Paragon221 (12-14-2010), Thurman (12-19-2010)
Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
Doing This Way Too Long

Sometimes subtlety does not work on some people MJW.

Linuxrunner, In your area it would not be surprising for that roof to run $375-450/sq. As Ed said, we can't say much of anything on your house without knowing at least the total area of the roof. You also have quite a bit of waste with the valleys and the pitch. Not a difficult job but it is very involved and tedious with poor access.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 12-12-2010 at 10:06 AM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
40+yrs Paint Trades

Oh yeah, I caught his not so "subtleness" But I don't have to play his game do I? Besides, who said anything about "illegals"? I didn't check their papers as they were working for the general contractor ( who is white BTW, not that it matters). That's HIS responsibility.

In my area (Midwest) almost EVERY roofing crew working after the last hailstorm was Latino!

I could care less if they spoke Spanish and listened to Conjunto. In fact, I prefer that over toothless rednecks and hillbilly music.

The guys who did my roof were professional, knew their stuff and didn't futz around or play grab ass. They were all business.

Guess you'd rather pay 11k for a roof you could get done for well less than half?

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Last edited by hoz49; 12-12-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoz49 View Post
Oh yeah, I caught his not so "subtleness" But I don't have to play his game do I? Besides, who said anything about "illegals"? I didn't check their papers as they were working for the general contractor ( who is white BTW, not that it matters). That's HIS responsibility.

In my area (Midwest) almost EVERY roofing crew working after the last hailstorm was Latino!

I could care less if they spoke Spanish and listened to Conjunto. In fact, I prefer that over toothless rednecks and hillbilly music.

The guys who did my roof were professional, knew their stuff and didn't futz around or play grab ass. They were all business.

Guess you'd rather pay 11k for a roof you could get done for well less than half?

"A fool and his money are soon parted."
I may have misread your original post but I thought you said it was a construction superintendent who was running a crew.
If he's an employee who also runs his own business than he is indeed a contractor, if he's an employee running a crew on the side he is not a contractor.
I assumed he was what I call a week end warrior rather than a contractor,
if that is indeed the case than neither him nor the crew he runs is properly insured, if they are insured at all.

Far as my post about illegals, I was not suggesting the crew that did your roof was, I know a lot of Hispanic construction workers who are not illegals.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote