Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 250

Working with torching roofing

I have roofed (Shingled mostly) but was given some Sopralene Flam 180. It is a roll membrane 33" x 39", which I'd like to use for a roof slope transition. I have never "torched" this stuff, is there a trick or can it be done with common sense?
Thanks for any advice.

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mark,not to try and scare you but even pros burn down buildings using that stuff,be careful

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
Mark Harvey (03-24-2010)
Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Mark,
Ditto on what Tom said. My kid brother is a commercial roofer. He doesn't use that torch down any more with a torch. They do make an adhesive for it to eliminate the open flame danger. I was a firefighter for 25 years and was on a few big fires where roofers using torches lit 'em up.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Yes, dumb roofers have burned buildings down... so have smart homeowners trying to use torch materials.

There are other materials you can use for this that would not risk fire.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AaronB For This Useful Post:
Mark Harvey (03-28-2010)
Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

I tend to disagree. Common sense is a big bonus. I am no roofer by any means, but have already done 3 torch roofs without incident, with excellent results. All of them were done over previous roofing material, so the danger of actually lighting something up was minimal. I always make sure to have a couple of 5 gal buckets (from compound) of water and a chemical fire extinguisher on hand. Never had to use either while doing the roof, but better safe than sorry.

I actually had a faulty propane tank light up out of the connection. Almost **** myself, stupid instinct made me kick that thing away, and then I had to run after it to extinguish it. Fire extinguisher took care of that no problem. I smoked a pack right after that. Lesson learned, check that **** before lighting up the torch.
slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slickgt1 For This Useful Post:
Mark Harvey (04-01-2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

and he tends to disagree
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
and he tends to disagree
LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing.

It doesn't take anything but common sense to use the torch with out burning your home down, but, it only takes one oops moment to burn it to the ground.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Yes, common sense is a big bonus.

For example, the amount of carpentry I do, most people would be missing limbs by now, and that takes a fraction of a second before you need the emergency room. This happens faster than you can comprehend, and I am still good, because common sense and safety are priority.

Since my next roofing project will be my house, and over decking, I have arranged for one of my guys to be a spotter. Just to be on top with us, watching that I don't do anything retarded, like drop the torch on the gas line, watch for smoke, etc..

Oh, all the roofing I have done, are on brick frame houses, I am sure that is much easier and safer than wood frame, but still, for my lack of roofing experience I have been ok thus far.

Its all about common sense and attention to detail. Nothing we do is rocket science, it's all experience, tools, and dedication.

slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote