Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

Share |

Working as a ridge vent? (image)

Similar to what I have in my attic... Is the attached image essentially working as a ridge vent?

Attic ridge area has removed-plywood at the ridge of the roof, but reveals the under side of the roof shingles.
No visible ridge vent protrusion visible from looking at the roof from the outside ground level.

Attached Thumbnails
Working as a ridge vent? (image)-ridge_vents526-dfs.jpg  

nickelshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelshine View Post
Similar to what I have in my attic... Is the attached image essentially working as a ridge vent?

Attic ridge area has removed-plywood at the ridge of the roof, but reveals the under side of the roof shingles.
No visible ridge vent protrusion visible from looking at the roof from the outside ground level.

That's not a workable vent. That should have a vent cap instead of shingles.

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #3

looks like someone got rid or previous ridge vent and just shingled over the cut out on each side of the ridge. When you install ridge vent you cut the sheeting back 1-1/2" on each side of ridge. Did they add new vents ? They could have changed to those whirly's, maybe done with roof replacement.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
looks like someone got rid or previous ridge vent and just shingled over the cut out on each side of the ridge. When you install ridge vent you cut the sheeting back 1-1/2" on each side of ridge. Did they add new vents ? They could have changed to those whirly's, maybe done with roof replacement.
No other vents, except gables at either end. I have only been in the house for four years. Decided to increase the insulation myself (in process) and have been researching the vents as well. Found no soffit vents either, although I am planning on possibly having them installed. Prepping by installing the standard foam soffit baffles. Tediously air sealing as I go... I was assuming some air would be able to escape thru the ridge "vent" shingled area, although obviously not as much as an actual vent. The existing attic doesn't seem to have any major condensation issues that I have found as of yet. Some rusted nails, but mold not a problem.

1960's House in Pennsylvania

Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited by nickelshine; 01-04-2011 at 10:19 AM.
nickelshine is offline   Reply With Quote