Wooden Deck Over Duralast Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wooden deck over Duralast roof

DIY guys

I am having a Duralast roof put on my commercial building that later may have apartments in the second story. Part of the first story roof is accessible from the second story through an exterior door. It would be a great place for a rooftop deck. After the Duralast roof is installed, will it be possible to build a deck with 2x6 joists and the decking over the roof? Would it help to wrap the joists with Duralast material where they would come into contact with the roof for double protection? Would that serve the same purpose as "walk" pads?

Also, could I overlay the roof with material something like an outdoor astroturf type covering without damage to the duralast material?

The installers removed a couple of unused 2 1/2" gas vents. They busted them off fairly flush with the roof without covering the hole or protecting the edge of pipe. After installing the duralast material, but I can still see the circle where the workers had walked over the old vent. Will this eventually work it's way through or cut a hole?

Advertisement

Grizzlybare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybare View Post
DIY guys

I am having a Duralast roof put on my commercial building that later may have apartments in the second story. Part of the first story roof is accessible from the second story through an exterior door. It would be a great place for a rooftop deck. After the Duralast roof is installed, will it be possible to build a deck with 2x6 joists and the decking over the roof? Would it help to wrap the joists with Duralast material where they would come into contact with the roof for double protection? Would that serve the same purpose as "walk" pads?

We do this all the time, just not with duralast. Yes you are correct using the material to be a "protective pad" between the roof and wood. One other way and is better use an acutally walk way pad as they are thicker. Another thought is use extruded styrofoam to protect it. 1" or 1 1/2 " would be ideal.

Also, could I overlay the roof with material something like an outdoor astroturf type covering without damage to the duralast material?

I dont think so, I would talk to the contractor as not much will stick to the top side of this material as far as adhesives.

The installers removed a couple of unused 2 1/2" gas vents. They busted them off fairly flush with the roof without covering the hole or protecting the edge of pipe. After installing the duralast material, but I can still see the circle where the workers had walked over the old vent. Will this eventually work it's way through or cut a hole?
Yes it can, this is something that should have been fixed. The hole should have been decked over. Even putting a 1'x1' piece of sheet metal over it. Did they tear off the roof, Im going to guess no. Did htey put any insulation down, or just a 1/2 cover board? Im not a fan at all of duralast and the ones I have replaced were just plain junk. The thing to watch out for is wall flashing to pull away, and if you have a deck up there is smokers, Duralast is not very thick as will burn a hole pretty quick. I would keep trafic off of this roof as much as you can.

Advertisement

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #3

You are correct that the installers did not do a tear off of the old roof. There is probably a good inch of material underneath. I was surprised that they did not put some kind of sheeting or something over those old vents. When you say "insulation" do you mean the fan folded 1/2" styrofoam looking stuff? They did that but no decking of any kind. Not even anything over the vent pipe holes.

When I mentioned putting some type of astro turf material, I meant to just lay it in like a carpet never attaching it to the roofing material. Since the roofing will go up the wall and is a free floating type of installation, I was thinking of some way that it could be hidden, via some carpet type covering that could be attached to the wall and along the wall and begining of the roof until it got under the deck. Need to cover that bright white and make it more "garden" like. And by the way,
No grills allowed (Period)

They have done a great job of silicone sealing the parapet walls along the flashing strip. How often will that need to be checked and/or replaced?

Thanks so much for your input.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Low Slope Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybare View Post
You are correct that the installers did not do a tear off of the old roof. There is probably a good inch of material underneath. I was surprised that they did not put some kind of sheeting or something over those old vents. When you say "insulation" do you mean the fan folded 1/2" styrofoam looking stuff? They did that but no decking of any kind. Not even anything over the vent pipe holes.

Yeah 1/2 styrofoam is insulation not ideal but it is what it is. What type of roof was on it before? They really should have put something over the holes, and not styrofoam a simple pieces of sheet metal would have worked.

When I mentioned putting some type of astro turf material, I meant to just lay it in like a carpet never attaching it to the roofing material. Since the roofing will go up the wall and is a free floating type of installation, I was thinking of some way that it could be hidden, via some carpet type covering that could be attached to the wall and along the wall and begining of the roof until it got under the deck. Need to cover that bright white and make it more "garden" like. And by the way,
No grills allowed (Period)

I would guess it would be ok just to lay outdoor carpet over it. I dont know how you would attach it to the walls. How come you went with a duralast if you didnt want the white roof? You coudl have went EPDM that black or any type hot/torch roof. I would assume cost of the duralast? Btw the bright white will help your utillity bills, and burn your eyes.

They have done a great job of silicone sealing the parapet walls along the flashing strip. How often will that need to be checked and/or replaced?

Thanks so much for your input.
If it is in fact silicone, I would replace it with a good polyurethane caulking like NP-1. You can expect silicone to last a year or so. Check it often but I wouldnt pull on it as your likely to take it all off.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #5

I am not sure whether it is NP-1, I never looked at the tubes they were using. I am sure that they are using whatever Duralast warranty calls for. How long does the NP-1 last?

Thanks again
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Low Slope Roofing

Depending on the joint it can last over 10-15 years. I would expect atleast 10 on this application if done correctly.

Advertisement