Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #1

Share |

Winter roof repair - DESPERATE!!!

I live in Wisconsin and have about four inches of snow on my roof beginning to melt. Today I noticed a water spot the size of half a dollar bill on the ceiling of my computer room - it was not there yesterday. It is actually wet to the touch. To complicate things worse I live in an older mobile home and have a crappy aluminum roof, which had some sort of black tar looking stuff on it. Over the summer I put a silver fibered sealant over the top... but apparently missed a spot right at the edge of the roof. Now I really don't have the money to hire someone to fix it, so I need to fix it myself... or rather tell my husband how to do it lol. I really need to do something now before it gets worse, but I don't know how to go about this in the winter. Should I buy a heat gun and try to dry the area as best I can and add sealant? Will it adhere right considering the temperatures? Even just something to get me through the rest of winter. Any tips on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

If you can safely remove the snow and ice from the area,
just use a rag to dry the area surrounding the actual problem,
apply some caulking or roof cement, spreading it in really well,
than go back in a couple months and do a permanent repair when the weather is more suitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #3

If you live near an ABC Roofing Supply, they will have 5 gallon buckets of roof cement that can be installed, carefully, when their is moisture present.

You will have a hard time not having more melting coming down the slope at you while you are doing the repair, if you actually have located the correct spot.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof leak winter snow