Wind Storm Knocks Off Shingle On Steep Peak - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wind storm knocks off shingle on steep peak

A strong wind storm has torn off half a shingle (top layer as roof has been shingled twice over the years) on my roof high on on peak. There is still the old layer of roofing underneath. Is this going to leak right off?
On the other side of the house two years ago a similar thing happen with the old
layer still underneath and no leak for two years. However the newest tear is very high up and hard telling if will leak as can't get a good look at it . I am planning to replace with a new roof this summer with a contractor. Not sure what to do.....i could wait and take a chance or get it repaired to get by. A bit steep to get up there myself...though would be easy to
fix as I got extra shingles. I have a roof ladder hook thing.....but never tested it out that high up. Other option is to seal the tear with roofing cement with a pole extension and brush ( I think it would reach it ). So, access is the real issue as quite steep ( 2 stories).
I figure a repair by a pro would be in $100 range since one shingle?

Advertisement

sandyscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,350

Most roofers have a minimum charge ----So make a few calls----In my area it would be higher than $100

If you aren't good with ladders and climbing---let someone else do it-----

If you could post a picture--someone could give a good guess about a leak---My guess? No leak---

You could look up into the attic and see if the roof deck shows water marks---

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Ok its a ridge cap. Where on the ridge is it? Is your ridge ventilated? In other words, are your ridge caps higher than the surrounding roof? Can you take a telephoto shot of the ridge and post it? If you go in the attic, can you see the sky through where the cap blew off?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

It is not the ridge cap, the torn shingle is about 3 shingles below the peak. Some
tar paper is ripped but appears following from the top to bottom an old first layer
is intact on the roof. Some flashing was exposed at the peak, looks like good shingles are under the flashing. It does appear a solid 1st layer exists as I used binoculars for a closeup. Will try to take a picture and post on here. My issue is I am planning to replace all the roof this summer, so wait on this tear or fix now?
sandyscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,350

If you can verify that it's not leaking----I'd leave it alone----