Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

Share |
Question

wind/hail damage to repair? never had experience at this at all. =(

have a insurance estimate for wind/hail damage to roof,gutters,siding.The insurance company has approved tear off and replacement of roof,siding,gutters. Never had any experience with this at all.My estimate says they (insurance company)is not responsible for contractor fees,what are they? I have a $500..00 deductible,thought that was all I would have to pay? Insurance company is also pay depreciation value. where do i start? I have one person coming tomorrow 10:00 am..H E L P! =(

ababyboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

Interview several contractors who have a long standing reputation and solid local references in your local community and choose the one who you feel will provide the best job for your needs.

The insurance company is Not responsible for any upgrades, unless code upgrades are included in your policy and now required by your local building code enforcement.

Adjusters prefer to see the estimate listed and broken out, line item by line item.

Usually, an astute contractor familiar with the methodology of insurance claims should be able to spot areas that they ommitted and under estimated.

Choose the contractor and then let them negotiate for their real contracting costs with your insurance company. If you have a signed contract for "Like Kind And Quality", then the insurance company should be legally obligated to compensate for the actual costs, less the policy deductible.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Interview several contractors who have a long standing reputation and solid local references in your local community and choose the one who you feel will provide the best job for your needs.
Local reputation is important!!!!

Roofers taken as a general group have a terrible reputation in the trade. I treated all mine fairly and them me as well on my projects. Mine had crews they knew, even those doing quick tear offs.

Gypsy roofers swarm on hail damaged neighborhoods and will disappear if even mediocre work gets done. Never to be seen again. Work is done by the labor pool who show up with a pint or bottle Irish Rose if white. The Hispanic workforce is alright and responsible. Whatever you do, get a contractor's license number and actually check it out to see if it is real. Hopefully your insurance carrier will do this but trust details important to you to nobody else is my motto.

If you have the patience. I would unbundle at least the gutter and siding work from the roofing work. The roofer will just sub it out anyhow.

All these folks will be busy if your area got hit bad by hail. If you can wait out at least repair of cosmetic damage you will find everybody more calm and more price negotiable.

Sadly, you are out $500 but the roof is the hat on your house protecting all else. Just watch your safe hailing record from now on. If the insurance company finds that you continually drive your house into acts of nature situations, they will try to up your rates. Here is a bone you should toss your insurance agent's/broker's way. If you are not, you should be carrying at least a $1M umbrella policy on your home and cars. It is dirt cheap.

Last edited by user1007; 08-16-2011 at 10:41 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #4

I may be off base a little bit, but often the contractor can ask the insurance company for "Overhead & Profit". This is an additional amount paid by the insurance, to the "General Contractor" when there are 3-4 or more lines of trade to deal with, i.e.- roofer, gutters, siding, windows, fence, etc. The GC is possibly entitled to a small percentage over the cost of the project, depending on the complexity and scope of work needing to be done.

But this is more between the GC and the insurance, not something typically passed on to the homeowner.
BCIDallas is offline   Reply With Quote