Will A Flat Roof Always Leak............. - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

will a flat roof always leak.............

We have a flat roof on the back of our home. Well, not exactly flat, but about 90%. We re did the back part of the house about 3 years ago. It has a very tall slope in the middle and the flat 10 x 10 parts on either side.

The left side of the house has held up this long until this spring. We had alot of rain this last couple of months. The room is unused so it must have leaked a few times before I noticed it, but the last one I was ready for with buckets under the 3 spots I noticed. This time it came through in a completly different spot. In front of the balcony door in a heavy stream.

the other side of the flat roof has leaked almost since we re did it. My husband went up and checked it many times and recoated it. Itwas alright for a few months then he would have to go up and tarp it and then repair it again with a coating. we have looked for what is wrong many times and can not find anything.

Im thinking it is in the valley where the flat meets the long slope. Anyway these shingles are almost new. 3 years isnt that old. Is there any thing we can do to coat it with something good? Or is there a way to reinforce the valley extra good with something?

I have thought of redoing it all over by tearing it off and throwing these shingles out and start new, but it was such a tough job to begin with and then the money we will be throwing away.

My husbgand said we can RAISE this flat roof to have more of a slope on it, but isnt that a tedious job and is it worth it? Im wondering is there any sure fire way to do a flat roof. help

Advertisement

cappuccino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Please post pictures.

Advertisement

waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #3

alright, going up in a few minutes.
cappuccino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

It depends on the material installed or the roofing contractor you use.

1.)A high probability of staying dry if a professional roofing contractor is used.

2.)A safe bet for some near future leakage if it was just installed by anything other than #1.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Now, I read "shingles" in your post, is this correct?
Does a near flat slope roof have shingles on it?
If true I think I know what the problem is...the shingles.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #6

There may be nothing wrong with the flat roof or the Shingle roof. It seems like they may have done the tie in between the two roofs incorrectly. Adding coatings will only aggravate the problem because it will trap the water running down from the shingle roof. More then likely you will need to have the bottom 6 rows of shingles removed and extend the flat roof membranes a minimum of 18" up the sloped roof. Then re install the shingles beginning no less then 6" from the bottom of the sloped roof. Having a Professional roofing company do the work is highly recommended!
OCasariego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Every roof will eventually leak. A flat roof can last 30 years when properly installed and maintained. flat roofs have bad raps because if the installer makes a small mistake you'll know about it and since people have a habit of hiring the cheapest bider they often get what they bought, a cheap roof, and blame the roof when it leaks when in fact it was destind to leak from the onset.

I say that flat roofs really are not a DIY project because on little mistake can have devestating results, especially in a snow climate. Choosing a type of material is of the utmost importance to the roof design. furthermore there are various components that can be installed depending on the situation like insulation and/or ventilation, metal flashings, membrane flashings etc...

A picture would defiently help determine if the roof was properly installed and the cause of the leak.

Advertisement

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:
Roofmaster417 (04-20-2011)