Whole/half Pattern Composite Shingles - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

whole/half pattern composite shingles

A home inspector was suspicious of the way the roof had been installed on a house I am considering buying. The roofer submitted a letter attesting to the better performance of the whole/half pattern he used. He states that it is actually preferred over the standard step pattern. I don't know what any of this means. Should I be concerned?

Advertisement

new homeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,274

Some roofers use different techniques for positioning each row of shingles so the seams don't line up. If I understand his method the seams will line up on every other row. I'd probably ask the roofer for documentation from the shingle manufacturer that shows it is an acceptable method and will still be covered under warranty.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
I'd probably ask the roofer for documentation from the shingle manufacturer that shows it is an acceptable method and will still be covered under warranty.
Good advise. It could easily be that neither of them know what they are talking about.

In order to be code compliant using the IRC, it will have to be done according to manufacturer specs.

I've even talked with other pro's about shingling methods. Some still don't get it.....

With that being said...........your roofer is making the guarantee on the workmanship, not a measly inspector.. although a warranty is another thing.......

The stair step pattern is the only way we shingle, and it has proven to be the best method, and is also mandatory on laminates....as per manufacturer.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote