DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   Who should replace my turbine vents? (

sparky472 01-21-2008 07:46 PM

Who should replace my turbine vents?
I've got a couple of turbine vents that I need to replace pretty quickly. Is this something I should get a roofer to do? Or just a general handyman? I don't think I have time in the next couple weeks to figure it out and do it myself.


the roofing god 01-22-2008 12:37 PM

you should use a roofer for that so they get flashed in properly

MinConst 01-22-2008 06:09 PM

A good handyman will do it fine job. If you know one that is good. If you don't your best bet would be a roofer.

Ed the Roofer 01-22-2008 06:42 PM

A handy man will wind up typically setting the flashing portion ON TOP of the shingles on all 4 sides and then sealing it with plastic roofing cement.

This will keep it water-tight for only about one season, until expansion and contraction crack through the dried out roof cement and then rain will leak in.

Make sure the roofer that repairs it, describes how to get the flashings under the shingles properly.

Their is a good article on adding a vent and how to loosen the nails from the shingles on

Here is a specific article which shows a properly installed turbine vent.

Note how the sides of the flashings and the top portion of the flashings are covered by the asphalt shingles.


the roofing god 01-22-2008 07:50 PM

very good,Ed

tinner666 01-23-2008 08:50 PM

Here's more.

sparky472 01-29-2008 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone. Roofer it is.

the roofing god 02-08-2008 03:46 PM

be to get the latest interior parts to it,for a foolproof install:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1