Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #1

Share |

Who gets the leftover roofing materials?

We just had our house re-roofed and are real happy with the results.
My question is who usually gets the leftover roofing materials, the asphalt shingles in particular?
I have a list of a few minor things I want the contractor to take care of and I'll ask him about the leftovers but just wondering what is typical?

Bob_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #2

I think that's between you & the contractor
Myself I like to have some spare shingles in case of any problems
I think possibly a lot of contractors will bring more (or have more) on-site to make sure they don't run out & the crew is idle. So the extra/leftover is not always included in the price

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
General Contractor

Your contract should state the amount of shingles that are included in the contract price. Typically it will be the amount required to cover the square feet of the roof rounded to a full bundle plus 15% waste.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #4

It should more properly be something addressed in your signed contract agreement, but you contracted for a complete roof to be installed, correct?

Did you get your complete roof installed?

Yes?

Then the leftovers are the contractors.

If he ran short on his estimate, wouldn't you expect him to still order more to complete the job?

By the way, I always try to leave 1 to 1 1/2 bundles left over with the home owner in the event I ever have to come back many years down the road and those shingles are not available any longer.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #5

I agree with Ed. It is the same with any trade- painter, plumber, carpenter, electrician. These professionals are bidding the job. It is different than a cost plus contract, where you buy the material and the worker's time, plus a percentage of the job cost. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #6

In my case. I bought the roofing materials and had them delivered to our driveway. We actually came up short and I had to make a run to the store. I did return some felt, but let the roofers have the leftover nails. What would I do with the nails in a partially open box? I don't have a roofing nailer.
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
MJW

Ed is right. If the Contractor Contracts the job, then they are his. We also usually leave an open bundle, but very rarely have they ever been used. We have come to homes years later for a new roof again (storm damage), and took them from them to throw away. They were happy to get rid of them.

As for your case of buying the materials yourself.......why would they take them? They are yours to return or save, whichever you prefer.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #8

I use the old shingles to cut up as starter strips
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI001 View Post
Your contract should state the amount of shingles that are included in the contract price. Typically it will be the amount required to cover the square feet of the roof rounded to a full bundle plus 15% waste.
15% waste?Thats extreme even for a real cut up pig.On average I'll account for 5% waste.You must end up with quite a few shingle after every job.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #10

Thanks for all the responses.

I've been trying to wait until I had a chance to discuss leftover shingles with my contractor so I could let you know how it worked out but I haven't been able to get in touch with him. I'm sure he will be in touch though because I gave him 50% of the agreed price to get started and still owe him the other 50%. I hope everything is ok with him and his family. He had a little personal issue that caused him to postpone starting the work a few days, he had to take his son to the emergency room, but I'm getting way off on a tangent here.

Our contract doesn't say anything about leftover materials, I'm ok with either way it just would have been nice to have some leftovers. Something to keep in mind on future contracts.

I also wanted to relate a kind of funny story from about 15 years ago when I made a dog house for our dog. I was pretty proud of it and put a lot of work into it. We had some leftover asphalt shingles (see how I tied that in with roofing? ) that I used on the dog house. I tried to make it look like a miniature version of our house so it was painted the same color, had the same shingles, I made the floor out of pressure treated 2 x 4's for a frame with plywood over it, and some nice carpet on top of that. I also had a framed picture of dogs playing golf (a classic) on the back wall of the doghouse. After all that effort I was really dissappointed to find that the dog refused to go in it, he rather just lay under a tree! Go figure.
Bob_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
Roofing Contractor

Hi,

You got a price for a new roof.

There are no left over materials. You may see materials at your house. They are not left over. I have materials at every job that are not used on that house. Being short is more expensive then having more with you.

Sun Tunnels - Skylights
Leftyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
15% waste?Thats extreme even for a real cut up pig.On average I'll account for 5% waste.You must end up with quite a few shingle after every job.
If I am doing the roof it usually is a tie in deal because we've added something on to the structure like a screened in porch. I typically run at about 8% waste and try to have at least 2 bundles left over to leave with the customer. The jobs are usually smaller roofs so 15% meets my goal.

If the area to be covered is large or a complete re roof is necessary I sub it out. I ask my roofing sub to figure on leaving 2 bundles in the case a patch is ever necessary.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #13

what i like to know is what does diy do with their left over shinles & siding, where can i find a web site that has left over free left over home improvement leftovers still in good conditing
daph320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
Roofing Contractor

Hi,

freecycle.com
Leftyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyho View Post
Hi,

freecycle.com
Thanks for fetching that name Lefty.

I couldn't, for the life of me, remember it earlier today.

But, the actual Link is: http://www.freecycle.org/

Good site to save otherwise wasted products.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote