Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

WHF and attic ventilation

Hello all,

My husband and I are fairly handy. Okay I have GREAT ideas and my husband makes them come to fruition.. We will be installing a whole house fan. After massive research I have chosen the WHF for us. But do I have enough attic ventilation??? I am not sure,.. I have calculated and I am not sure that we have proper ventilation let alone compound that with a VERY large WHF. My hubby thinks I have gone off the deep end and he says install it....it will be fine. So I am here to have help with my quest of attic ventilation.

cp31817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forums, both of you!

WHF tend to draw mass amounts of air from below. Be certain it is exhaust ducted through the attic to the exterior. You don't want/need the humid room air or outside air entering the attic to deposit even more moisture there. If not enough supply (make-up) air is available (or because of over-sizing), they will pull the flue gases from those type appliances; http://www.nachi.org/attic-ventilati...s-part1-25.htm
Your location would help us check your requirements.

Basic NFVA figuring, post your math and we will check it; http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Gary

P.S. I will move you to "Roofing".

Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks GBR and thank you for the welcome. i posted a separate thread in roofing. I am just attempting to re-size my photos....lol lol I finally had to resort to my teenager helping me.
cp31817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You're welcome. Post a new "Intro" a let others meet you. I was unaware of your other post in roofing.....

Gary