DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

where is my roofing contractor???

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  the roofing god 
#1 ·
I had my roof replaced 2 years ago. After the roof was replaced I got a leak near my sky light which was also replaced. The company came out a few times to "repair" the leak. It was never repaired. The company has since went out of business, and I can't locate the owner. To make matters worse, he had someone else from another company to pull the permit for the job. I called that company last year when I noticed the leak was still present. That company came out to try to fix the problem. We thought the leak may have been fixed, however it was not. The rainy season had just stopped till this year. The leak is back at the same location near my sky light. My main question is, the original contract with the original company had a 5 year warranty. The owner of the orignal company has left the state, the other part is do I have the right to go after the second company that actually pulled the permit to carry on the original 5 year warranty or should I "eat this" as a learning experience and try to hire another company to come in and do the actual repair. Thanks for any reply.

#2 · (Edited)
Unfortunately for the company that pulled the permit, but they may have assumed the liability for the project, even though they did not have a direct contract with you.

You should seek a free legal consultation first and see what an attorney has to say in your area, because laws vary around the entire country.

Also, consider small claims court if need be, but I would not personally think this warrants that much of a hassle.

Pay a professional, well established roofing contractor, who does not sub-contract out his work to one of the low paid bottom feeders over-running the market place. Make sure it is a company that has trained employees in house that do there own work.

Eat the cost and consider it a fee for a lesson learned.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.