Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

where to find this type of skylight domes?

hi anyone know where to find special domes? there are cracks in my skylight dome and i'm considering just replacing the dome not the frameworks. However, the regular domes on the market all have flat edges that go into retainers. Mine doesn't need retainer. It has "apron" about 2 inches - please see my drawings below:

1) regular dome on the market with straight flange
2) my skylight dome with extra vertical flange/apron
3) my skylight dome is fixed to the wood frame on the roof by screws on the side/vertical flange/apron

the other end of the screws are in the wood frame around the roof opening. the dome covers everything. the size is 47 inches by 47 inches (outer). 2 sides have 2 screws each and 2 other sides have 3 screws each. anyone know who might be the manufacturer or where to find something like this? Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by diybeginner123; 09-27-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: new drawings
diybeginner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

You need to ask for a replacement dome. That size would be considered a 48x48. The apron is called a flange and yours is a straight flange. Is yours diffused like that or was that just the picture you selected?

I would contact your local roofing distributor like an ABC Supply or google or check with your local building supply warehouse. You might want to check out the gasket or weatherstripping too...might as well replace it all and get a good seal so you won't have to worry about any leaks.

Here's a couple of links...
http://www.aiaindustries.com/replace...skylights.html

http://www.eztopsworldwide.com/skylights.htm

Last edited by Horseygirl; 09-27-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Horseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseygirl View Post
You need to ask for a replacement dome. That size would be considered a 48x48. The apron is called a flange and yours is a straight flange. Is yours diffused like that or was that just the picture you selected?

I would contact your local roofing distributor like an ABC Supply or google or check with your local building supply warehouse. You might want to check out the gasket or weatherstripping too...might as well replace it all and get a good seal so you won't have to worry about any leaks.

Here's a couple of links...
http://www.aiaindustries.com/replace...skylights.html

http://www.eztopsworldwide.com/skylights.htm
just called a local roofing supply company and described the dome and the guy there told me this is an old fashioned dome and it's no longer available. He can special order a dome with metal frame as the replacement but it'll be close to $1000 i guess the reason the old fashioned dome is gone is because it cannot be sold close to $1000?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #4

You are now showing a "curb mounted" skylight. They are not an unpopular style. Check out this site as they have pictures and you should be able to find a replacement. If the dome is opaque (diffused), that might be a little harder to find and a more commercial application since comercially they are used as a light source. I don't know if you have a single dome but nowadays they are double dome. Maybe that's why the person said they are unavailable or maybe he was just being a "salesman" or taking the easy way out!! If the curb is in good condition and not leaking around the perimiter flashing, there is no need to replace. Of course I'm saying that sight unseen...

Anyway, check out this site and look under the curb mounted section. You should find what you are looking for.

http://www.jfreeman.com/skylights.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Horseygirl For This Useful Post:
diybeginner123 (09-27-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #5

this is exactly what i was looking for!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #6

That's great!! Glad you found what you were looking for.