Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #1

Share |

Where do I nail Aluminum Fascia?

I read the Reader's Digest guide, which has great info on installing the soffit and fascia, but there's one detail missing.

I know that the fascia is supposed to be all pretty, but I'm going to be using stainless roofing nails to fasten it, and I don't know exactly where the nails should go! I'm assuming I need to nail up at the top, where it'll be covered by drip edge, but am I supposed to nail up through the bottom, through the soffit? Won't that crush the flange of the fascia up into the soffit? Or should I just nail horizontally through the bottom of the fascia and cover the nailhead with paint?

Thanks!
irlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #2

You should use a color coated nail that matches the color of your fascia. They sell ring shank nails that are color matched for the fascia. Once you get the color coated nails then you can nail where ever you have a good solid nailer behind the fascia.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Commercial Roofing

If youre using aluminum fascia, I would use aluminum nails.

Electrolosys is slow between stainless and aluminum, but it will still occur and cause corrosion between the dissimilar metals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
MJW

Good point Aaron.
I always use steel fascias and stainless nails so they stay on longer than 4 years. Most aluminum fascias and nails fall out too easy.
I have had where a customer wants them nailed from underneath and I predrilled the holes for the nails. Most of the time I nail the face about two inches up from the soffit. A nail every 3 to 4 feet. Don't nail overlaps so the fascias can flex a little with the heat.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:23 AM   #5

Too early...
Koscermot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:49 AM   #6

could someone tell me how far to set back timber battens off the ridge and hips of a trussed roof to isure proper fixing of ridge cappings. and/or any other advice. cheers
Brad Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #7

Never face nail aluminum fascia, not even under drip edge or gable trim as it will buckle during temperature change. Only nail/screw from underneath about every 24-30" inches.

Aluminum colored nails are the norm but they are not fun to install, have limited holding power, and tend to back out over the years from temperature variations.

I like to buy color matching screws from a real supply house. 3/4" for soffit install, 1 1/2" for fascia. The fascia will rip off around the screws before the screws will back out.

Last edited by n0c7; 08-08-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Looks like this is an old topic revived by a new member in an unrelated post. Ooops.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #8

That's some strange ways I've never even heard of to attach a simple fascia.
No way would I ever in a million years use roofing nails or screws, that's what I see DIY's do all the time when it falls off.
I use an oval shaped punch on the bottom made just for trim nails.
Looks like this but a smaller hole.
http://malcoproducts.com/product/roo...-punch-redline
At the top I use a Snap Lok to punch a tab.
http://malcoproducts.com/product/roo...lock-punches-a
Now I can slip it into place and have the top lock into the drip cap and nail it in from the bottom with Stainless steel color matched trim nails. No nails in the face of the trim and it can still move instead of buckling.
I never use aluminum nails, 1/2 the time they bend, there to big a gauge and dent the trim.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Agree with near all comments.

But never mix metals in a potentially wet or damp environment.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #10

Stainless is the exception.
In 20 years I've never once seen a stainless nail in coil stock have any effect on aluminum coil.
Where coil will fail every time is when someone tries to wrap pressure treated wood.