Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Where to buy roofing supplies

My parents are looking to redo their roof at their summerhouse, so they enlisted me in helping them find the best deal online for the equipment that's necessary. They are looking to get a "Ceramic Tile" look-a-like roof, I'm not even sure what it's called. It would have to look something like this: [www]flickr[dotcom]/photos/8510415@N04/532153215 - but be of lighter material, as their roof wouldn't be able to hold up such heavy weight.

If anyone knows of the name of this type of roof that they are looking for, and the best place online where to buy it (where do you guys buy your supplies online?), please do let me know-

Also, what is the typical labor cost for this kind of roof job, using this sort of roof- per square foot.

Thanks

bkroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Here is your link once again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8510415@N04/532153215

Those are ceramic roofing tiles.

They also come in concrete and clay. There are simulated materials and even metal roof panels that also look like tile.

ABC Roofing Supply, which is pretty much Nation Wide should have some samples and literature to get you started.

A structural engineering study may need to be made on your parents home 1st to calculate the weight load requirements.

What area of the country are you lookng at having this done at?

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:37 AM   #3

Ed,

I'm sitting with my mom right now, reading your reply. We're not sure about the weight load requirement, but she's pretty positive that ceramic, concrete, and clay are out of the question- as those materials are way too heavy.

That photo was used merely to show you the visual aspect of the roofing that im looking for, i didn't mean it to represent exactly the type of roofing that needed to be used.

I'm looking into Decra, or even Gerard? What do you think? I'm leaning into the direction of a much lighter material, such as metal, or even plastic (if that's possible?) that looks like the Villa tile that you would see on Decra's website.

Let me know.

Thanks
bkroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Start another thread topic with the names Decra and/or Gerrard Metal Roofs in it. It may take a while longer than a shingle roof question to get answered, but there are some guys who are intimately more familiar with those products than I am.

Both of those are well reputed named materials and I would imagine that both companies have certified installers they could recommend.

The Devis is in the flashing details though. Anyone can fasten down metal tile panels or pieces rapidly, but will it withstand the weather?

A guy who does metal roofing for a full time occupation is the best choice, not just someonew who says, yeah I can do that too.

Look under the title of Architectural Sheet Metal installers in your local YP book or online for your area.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,030

Would this help? http://www.easymetalroofing.com/
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #6

http://www.trimline-products.com/div...E4172?Open&Pro

I've worked with a great rep for this product in the past, if you would like I can find a reputable supplier in your area for this stuff. Very nice product, not cheap though. Hope this helps.

kylemfk is offline   Reply With Quote