Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

When to replace an old cedar roof

I have a 31 year steep pitch cedar shake roof that's been well cared for...periodic application of oils, gentle cleaning, shingles replaced as needed etc., and there are no (known) leaks or other serious issues.

A 31 year old cedar shake roof is obviously on the old side, and I've had several reputable roofing contractors come out and take a look at the roof and its current condition.

The 1st company essentially said "Without even looking at it closely, I can tell you that a 30 year old shake roof is nearing the end of its useful life and you should be thinking about planning a new roof within the next year or so."

The 2nd company (after about 20 minutes on the roof) said, "This roof is in good condition and is well cared for. If you continue that kind of maintenance, you should easily get 5 years of life out of it."

The 3rd company (who spent about 30 minutes on the roof) said, "You've gotten your money's worth out of the roof. There are many curling and split shakes, as well as a lot of pitting. We don't recommend replacing shakes one by one because pulling out the old shakes leaves holes in the roof that provide potential entry points for water. You should plan on replacing the roof in the not to distant future."

That leaves me with a 2-1 vote in favor of a roof replacement. Other than trying to see what other contractors say (presumably they'll come down on one side or the other), how do I, as a homeowner, get a reasonable assessment of the condition of the roof and the urgency (or not) of a replacement?

camner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 2

I was leaning toward #2, to me, they sounded like they gave an honest opinion.

Most shake roofs out here get replaced about then, some sooner and some later. It all depends on the quality of the install, proper ventilation and periodic maintenance. Hard to say for sure without seeing it in person.

#3 sounded like they needed work, that was a typical sales response.

AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 82

+1 Andy.

Hard not to trust a guy that is telling you the roof will be good for another few years.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote