Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #1

Share |

What's the most efficient roof?

Is it shingles, metal, terra cotta, rubber?

I live in Florida and have been considering a recycled rubber roof. The ones I've seen is in the pattern of slate.

imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

In 1992, we removed a slate roof that was originaly installed in 1938, did some minor wood repairs to the roof deck, installed a new under layment and than reinstalled the 'original' slates we had taken off, that roof was in College Park, Florida and will easily last another 60 plus years, minus storm damage of course.

I have done simular jobs like that with tile.

You'll never hear a roofing contractor tell you that about a sixty year old shingle or rubber roof, and I doubt anyone can say that about a metal roof either.

If you live in the Orlando area, contact Albert J Steppi Roofing & Metal Work Co.
I believe he's still located in Winter Garden, Florida.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #3

Thanks Sly,

Since your a roofer, do you care to comment on "your experience" with adding spray foam insulation to the back side of roof decking in your attic?

I've heard several opinions and a lot of hear say, but one of them is that the spray foam will degrade your roof shingle life because of the heat trapped in between the foam and the shingles causing the wood decking to deteriate.

I believe there's not enough data out to conclude this but what do you think if you've experienced anything with spray foam?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #4

I have not yet read anything about the sprayed foam "Trapping" heat between the foam and the decking.

I have read concerns about trapped moisture that would not be evident for quite some time, but the historical data is not sufficient to see if that concern is legitimate or not.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Residential Roofer

I have a couple of issues with sprayed foam being applied directly to the decking, but both are based on personal opinions.
One is a roof leak not being detectable because the water won't penetrate the foam the way it doe's regular insulation and drywall etc.
Two is the decking will keep a higher tempature because of the foam being directly adhered to it,
because shingles do not have a granulated backside like there surface is, the shingles are vonurable to heat escaping from inside the attic/crawl space, thus is one reason why we always insist on a heavier felt paper to help protect the under side of the shingle.

I have done shingle jobs on homes that had bad/hard to insulate areas and we actually installed fiber board insulation on top the deck prior to installing the shingles of course, which is a common practice in commercial work,
theres always options until systems such as the foam are time tested and proven to work.

Like Ed said, I have seen no studies proving it to be harmfull as of yet.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #6

Thanks for you input and this did get a little off topic.

You can have open-cell or closed-cell spray foam. Open cell will allow you to see if you have a roof leak by allowing it to penetrate thru the foam and show up as a discolor.

Closed cell will not allow any water thru and also provides structural strength to the roof from lift. That's especially good here in Florida for Hurricanes.

I ask though, what is the main function of a roof? It's to provide shelter from the elements especially water. If your roof has a leak and you had the closed cell installed then you wouldn't have to worry about any water damage. I don't know about you guys but I'd rather stop a roof leak before its seen inside my home and by then it's already caused enough damage to cost plenty of $$.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #7

I would rather see a small spot from a leak and fix it properly rather than have it be hidden and rotting unseen structural members of my home, creating a bio-hazard of mold infestation and possible long term structural damage and costly repairs and potential heath hazards.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #8

I do see your point about being able to see the small leak, but I know you're a roofer and would be able to notice most small leaks. However most people NEVER go into their attics to take a look around.

The closed cell foam makes your roof more structurely sound.

Actually all the spray foam material I've read about are non-toxic and resistant to all mold growth.

Ed, what roof do you recommend for someone that is thinking of adding this spray foam? I can see that there could be some problems with having it but if you were to recommend a long lasting roof that looks good, affordable, and functions well what would it be?

Last edited by imola ghost; 10-02-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #9

The definition of a good roof is not the material but the installation.You could have the best material and have the crappiest roof.Every roof has its pros and cons. "A Roof Is only As Good As It Is Applied"
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
registered

Metal roofing with the Coating on it which reflects uv heat.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #11

Natural slate is the best roof by far to any other, and life cycle wise is the cheapest as well
RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com

RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote