Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #1

Share |
Question

What's the best shingle for the Chicago area?

I live in the Chicago area and I'm looking to get my roof and three skylights replaced. My quotes range from $9,200 to $12,220. I have to tear off and put up architectual shingles.

I've talked to several roofing contractors. One wants to put on IKO shingles and another wants to put on Owen's Corning Oakridge shingles.

Both of these contractors seem pretty reputable. However, whenever you do a search for either one of these products you come up with a ton of horror stories.

It seems to me that certain shingles are better in particular climates or these shingles manufacturers have done a pretty good job of dividing up the country into individual markets in which one manufacturer dominates.

I know everyone has their own opinion about these things but is there one shingle that stands head and shouldrers above the rest for the Midwest? Thanks for your answer.

GinoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

OC are a big-box specialty around here. No self-respecting contractor markets them. IKO is a different story because around here they are quite common and actually have a very good track record. Other parts of the country IKO is the bottom of the barrel so that is obviously a regional issue.

It is odd to me that you had two "contractors" both quote you those two options and not Tamko, Certainteed or GAF which are generally the mfr's preferred by most contractors. Not many that I talk to that have OC or IKO in their top choices if even at all.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #3

Not one contractor has mentioned those brands. I've seen them talked about in the forums but not one mention.

I'm going to check with one of the contractors to find out if there are other brands I can get.

Thanks!
GinoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Roofing & Renovation

As a contractor I will put on what ever the customer wants. that being said I always suggest Certainteed first and then Tamko. They both are a top quality shingle but Certainteed has a better warranty.

http://www.certainteed.com/resource/roofing/warranties

http://tamko.com/Default.aspx?tabid=188

Hope this helps
SoarRoofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Residential Roofer

I always offer a complete option of materials as well like SoarRoofing doe's.

Which shingle is best not only changes from region too region but also from contractor too contractor working in the same region.
Some of the reasoning behind that is good, some not so good.
1. Bulk sales, selling one product 'maybe two' gets them lower prices on materials.
2. Plant supplying your area, all manufacturers have multiple plants producing their products, some plants have higher/lower quality track records than others.
3. Bad experiences, if a contractor has had problems with the materials or warranty issues with a certain manufacturer they will steer away from that product.
4. Promotional sales, some simply chase after the lowest price material they can find.

Best bet for a home owner, take free estimates "as many as needed" until you find the one contractor you feel most comfortable with and let him/her help you decide which brand best fits your wants/needs.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post

Best bet for a home owner, take free estimates "as many as needed" until you find the one contractor you feel most comfortable with and let him/her help you decide which brand best fits your wants/needs.
...even though, as contractors, this is annoying as hell, it actually is in the best interest of the consumer so we are compelled to tell you this.

Finish your house yet Sly??
Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
...even though, as contractors, this is annoying as hell, it actually is in the best interest of the consumer so we are compelled to tell you this.

Finish your house yet Sly??
LMAO, leave me alone , no I did not finish yet .

Between bad weather and ice damn issue repairs I haven't been able to get to it, I just got back home from doing two repairs and a take off on a new construction job I have coming up,

but should be able to get mine done tomorrow, weather permitting.

Trying to stay on track with the OP,
I used Tamko Heritage on my personal home and the 100 plus squares of shingles I will be using on the new construction home above will be either GAF/Elk Timberline or Certainteed Landmark, the home owner will be making their final decision this week.
Their decision making started with GAF/Elk, OC, Tamko, Certainteed, IKO and Atlas.
All are the same as far as cost of material & labor.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

I don't have much room to talk. It took me about six months to get my ridgecap installed when I did mine last.
Staying on topic, I used Elk sablewood PII