What Are Your Thoughts On DIY Metal Roofing? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 166

What are your thoughts on DIY metal roofing?

I have done a shingle roof before. It was very labor intensive. I'm trying to help someone out that is low on funds. They were getting quotes for 5k to 7k to shingle their roof. Their roof pitch is either a 2/12 or 3/12. I'm located in FL, so there is no concern for snow.

I was thinking about taking on the task of installing a standing seam metal roof. I got some price quotes as low as .61 a square foot (not painted). I would still need to factor in fasteners, underlayment, drip edge, ridge vent, etc.

Do you think metal roof are DIY friendly? I would think there would be a lot less labor involved.

Advertisement

Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,280

I have not done one myself, but, my neighbor who is 80 years old did his house with some help from his son. He purchased some metal roofing from a reputable Amish manufacturer for a very reasonable price and, as I recall, he said it ended up being about 1/2 the cost of an asphalt shingled roof. His roof was fairly easy, a non-hip roof so all his sheets were the same length for both sides.

Most of the labor for him was cutting out for roof protrusions like bathroom vent stacks and the like and properly sealing those. I guess I said all of that to say that it is def DIY friendly.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

I would say a standing seam roof is doable for a DIYer. I and my son did mine. Just make sure of your measurements, as they will cut the sheets to fit. Got mine from Menards. Have had it on for 3 years now and no problems. Love it.
merlefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

$.61/sf? Sounds like you are confusing 29ga rolled rib with standing seam
Live_Oak (01-17-2014), Windows on Wash (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

While DIYable, it's not as DIY friendly as asphalt shingles. Penetrations are one issue. Flatness and squareness of the deck is another. In an older house, you may have more of that latter issue than you realize until you start trying to lay down 28' sections. (And it sure ain't the easiest thing in the world to handle sections that long either.) It can get out of square really fast, and then you've got to be able to figure out how to fix that on the fly within the tolerances of the pre cut lengths.

And yeah, you're not getting standing seam for that price. You're getting something that has screw down fasteners in a rib. Plus, it's not the flat stock that's expensive on a metal roof. It's all of the trim pieces that you need. Price those first before you get all excited about cost savings. It's probably really a wash between a good dimensional shingle and metal for material.
OldNBroken (01-17-2014), seeyou (01-19-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

You know the saying "The devil is in the details"? Well, That very well could have been penned for metal roofing. Any monkey can put a field panel down with little knowledge or experience. If you have a straight-gable with limited penetrations then I say yes, it can be a DIY project. Anything more than that and more often than not people just slap some gawd-awful detail together, generally relying mostly on large quantities of caulk to keep the weather out. This is when it strays from the DIY realm. Most issues with metal roofs ends up being poor details. It's something that is not easily explained and does take training and experience to make it both weather-tight and aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 01-17-2014 at 07:35 PM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
seeyou (01-19-2014), Windows on Wash (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 862

I have installed many metal roofs and several different types.As mentioned earlier, the accessories is what makes the price add up.You will also need some tools you probably don't have to do a proper job.These roofs can be installed by a DIY'er but you can get in trouble with them quickly if you make mistakesThere is something wrong with the price you stated and you need to check that again.You also stated ,non painted.I hope you are not planning on painting the roof?The metal I use has a factory applied finish that is gaurenteed for 40 years.Not something you can DIY.
Here is a good video of snap lock standing seam:
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
seeyou (01-19-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 166

It is 91 cents a square foot for the standing seam.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
Old enough to know better

Rewards Points: 10

Yeah. Now ad in the cost of fasteners, seals, caulk, various types of trim pieces, etc. And you'll get to the installed cost, less your labor. But: metal roofs last forever, and are hail- resistant, etc. I love 'em. Go for it. I recommend pneumatic shears too. And a good set of left and right-handed shears. And gloves...
TexasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDave View Post
And gloves...

Or readily available stitches.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:05 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

A couple notes
1. a 26 gauge snap lock painted metal is about $2 a sq ft for anything decent
2. Accessories can cost that much again depending on the house design
3. You're in Florida so maybe keep in mind the fact it heats up pretty good & you may want to insulate it
4. Details are everything. It's the difference between a roof you can be confident in & one you fight with for 20 years
5. It's humid down there so is a good underlay required
6. Last but not least, I find them noisy. If you have lots of trees above the house, the dripping up to 2 hours after a rain can be quite annoying.
We call it the kitchen sink syndrome
DC Roofing Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

I have put on quite a few metal roofs. They are far better than shingles in my opinion. Shingles look better, but the metal is quicker to install, and you can do it yourself if you have someone hand the metal up to you. Or if there isn't much wind, you can stand them up against the house and pull them up. That get's old though.

Also, I am not sure that you got the correct quote on a standing seam metal roof. That is way too low. This is a higher quality roof. You also would have to rent the machine to seam the laps together. i don't like the look of the standing seam, but they are better quality in that you also don't have to worry about leakage through the screws. They get covered up with the seaming tool. But you also would have to learn how to use the machine. Not hard, but you would need to do it correctly.

One more thing. A metal roof with insulation makes a big difference with the electric bill. There was a customer that had a metal roof put on, and when half the roof was on, he said that his air conditioner started kicking off. And it had NEVER done that before in the summer. And that was just with HALF the roof installed.

When I was doing remodeling as a business, there was a buddy of mine that grabbed me when he needed a metal roof put up. I learned from him, and it is far better than putting up a shingle roof. And the pitch doesn't really matter on the roof, because a metal roof doesn't have to have a lot of pitch. Even a 1 on 12 is enough for water to run.

Advertisement

Last edited by TedLeger; 02-25-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Added
TedLeger is offline   Reply With Quote