DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   What are your guys' opinions on gutter guards? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/what-your-guys-opinions-gutter-guards-127150/)

strategery 12-20-2011 03:21 AM

What are your guys' opinions on gutter guards?
 
I'm having new seamless gutters put on next week and for about $200 extra they'll put gutter guards on. Anyone here have any experience with them good or bad and are they worth the extra cost?

My concern about them is that they'll cause the gutters to be less effective at collecting the water. Is that a reasonable concern? And do you think there's any benefit in getting 6" gutters instead of 5" even for a small house (less than a thousand square ft)?

Thanks.

titanoman 12-20-2011 07:34 AM

As long as you keep them cleared of debris, they work great. I'd rather brush them off than dig crap out of the gutter.
Will there be a lot of leaves getting onto your roof?
How steep is your roof? Unless its real steep, I don't know why all the water wouldn't go into the gutter.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

Windows on Wash 12-20-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strategery (Post 798219)
I'm having new seamless gutters put on next week and for about $200 extra they'll put gutter guards on. Anyone here have any experience with them good or bad and are they worth the extra cost?

My concern about them is that they'll cause the gutters to be less effective at collecting the water. Is that a reasonable concern? And do you think there's any benefit in getting 6" gutters instead of 5" even for a small house (less than a thousand square ft)?

Thanks.

Depends on the cap used.

Some work very well and can handle any amount of water you can throw at them and some can overshoot with a drizzle.

Be mindful of that because if you are dumping water near the foundation wall in order to keep the gutters clean, you might be creating more of a problem than solving a maintenance question.

strategery 12-20-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 798319)
Depends on the cap used.

Some work very well and can handle any amount of water you can throw at them and some can overshoot with a drizzle.

Be mindful of that because if you are dumping water near the foundation wall in order to keep the gutters clean, you might be creating more of a problem than solving a maintenance question.

I'm not sure what that means but I do have some moisture issues near the foundation. It gets a little too damp near the foundation.

The grading is good, it slopes away. The gutters no matter how well I keep them clean, just don't collect enough of the water coming off the roof. I suppose that it *might* help to refasten them, but there are a couple of areas where it looks to me like there's some leaks.

The roof is a little bit steep.

rossfingal 12-20-2011 08:38 AM

"Oversize" gutters, might help. (6" vs. 5").
Larger downspouts could help.
With "leaders" to get the water 6 ft. to 10 ft. away from the house.

rossfingal

I'm trying to find a link to a person who tried about 10 types of gutter-screens -
The one thing I remember was - the one's that worked the best - very expensive!
Most of the one's that you'll find at a "Big-Box" store are useless -
my experience!

Windows on Wash 12-20-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strategery (Post 798350)
I'm not sure what that means but I do have some moisture issues near the foundation. It gets a little too damp near the foundation.

The grading is good, it slopes away. The gutters no matter how well I keep them clean, just don't collect enough of the water coming off the roof. I suppose that it *might* help to refasten them, but there are a couple of areas where it looks to me like there's some leaks.

The roof is a little bit steep.

If the roof is steep, be mindful of gutter overshoot. This is common with products that have either a very tight mesh or rely on a reverse curl type application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECwZ5_JuXlE

Roofmaster417 12-20-2011 08:36 PM

IMO if the gutters are not covered with the helmet style the screens are worthless.Unless your incapable of cleaning your gutters.

The failure with gutters begins with the homeowner never cleaning the gutters or not cleaning them enough.Now add a gutter screen along with never cleaning the screens then you have another hassle with a equal or bigger problem as before.

Another disaster could be looming in the future when the gutters are covered with screens.,the screens are covered with leaves and other things that have been broke down and turned into slimmy chunky goo.Throw in a 1/4" inch of ice and about 8" of snow and you now have a major problem.

IMO I would save the $200.,buy a roof rake from you to your house for Christmas and if possible keep your structure free of debris.

If I were thinking of bigger gutters and screens I would invest in a helmet system.,keep the same size gutters and forget about the screens.But that is just me.Nothing is really 100% maintenance free.They just throw that into the marketing ploy to reel them in

Windows on Wash 12-21-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 (Post 798940)
IMO if the gutters are not covered with the helmet style the screens are worthless.Unless your incapable of cleaning your gutters.

The failure with gutters begins with the homeowner never cleaning the gutters or not cleaning them enough.Now add a gutter screen along with never cleaning the screens then you have another hassle with a equal or bigger problem as before.

Another disaster could be looming in the future when the gutters are covered with screens.,the screens are covered with leaves and other things that have been broke down and turned into slimmy chunky goo.Throw in a 1/4" inch of ice and about 8" of snow and you now have a major problem.

IMO I would save the $200.,buy a roof rake from you to your house for Christmas and if possible keep your structure free of debris.

If I were thinking of bigger gutters and screens I would invest in a helmet system.,keep the same size gutters and forget about the screens.But that is just me.Nothing is really 100% maintenance free.They just throw that into the marketing ploy to reel them in

+1

They are a recipe for disaster in many applications.

We have used a system that keeps about about 95% of the debris from this region and flows a ton of water. Moving a bunch of water tends to clear out any accumulated debris that gets past the guard.

The system is cost effective too. PM me if you guys want to know what we are using.

Double-A 12-27-2011 09:16 PM

First, I think new gutters (properly installed) will solve some of your problems.

I like the Rain Drop gutter guards.

Here's the thing: don't believe the people who tell you you'll never have to clean your gutters again.

We have taken down the "helmet" style gutter guards where the gutters themselves are so packed with decomposed leaves that they were completely blocked.

At best (and I still think they are worth it) they change your gutter cleaning from every year to every few years.

The other thing to look for are properly-sized diverters to handle overflow coming off the valleys.

chb70 12-27-2011 09:35 PM

The only reason I would put a 6" gutter on a 1,000 SF home, is if there is an area where there is not enough eve length.

3x4 downspouts should provide enough extra drainage for a home that size.

As far as gutter screen, helmet, covers, inserts, etc.
Depending on the pitch of your roof will determine which type you should use.

Myself, I have a cover that has holes punched downward so that the top of the cover is still smooth to the touch on my house.
This is the only one I have used for the past three years. So far we have not had any complaints with this product.

Here is a pic:

http://usaluminuminc.com/images/leafShelter.gif

Complete Roof


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved