Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
sweaty

Share |

What Would You Do With This Roof?

I have a split-level Tudor house built in 1976 with a Gambrel-style roof. The roof has 15-year-old, 40-year architectural shingles that are no longer made. The roof area is 4000 sq. ft. It is getting mossy and moldy. There is an area near the front that feels mushy underneath (water damage from ice dams this winter).

We had an usually strong hailstorm recently. A roofer came and said there is damage- he could tell spots on the shingles where the hailstones hit. He would charge $12,500 to replace the roof and would recommend adding ice-and-water shield further. We have not had leaks yet and do not want them. Our deductible is $5,000. Money is tight; we don't want to spend money that is not necessary, but need to have a good roof.

I suppose our next step is to have the insurance company inspect it and do an estimate. Would they raise rates just by making contact?

What would you do with this roof if it were yours?

sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #2

1st I'd inspect it myself or call my insurance company & have them inspect it for damage

Did the roofer just drive by, or did you call them to inspect the roof ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
1st I'd inspect it myself or call my insurance company & have them inspect it for damage

Did the roofer just drive by, or did you call them to inspect the roof ?
And did he have a ball peen hammer with him?
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaty View Post
I have a split-level Tudor house built in 1976 with a Gambrel-style roof. The roof has 15-year-old, 40-year architectural shingles that are no longer made. The roof area is 4000 sq. ft. It is getting mossy and moldy. There is an area near the front that feels mushy underneath (water damage from ice dams this winter).

We had an usually strong hailstorm recently. A roofer came and said there is damage- he could tell spots on the shingles where the hailstones hit. He would charge $12,500 to replace the roof and would recommend adding ice-and-water shield further. We have not had leaks yet and do not want them. Our deductible is $5,000. Money is tight; we don't want to spend money that is not necessary, but need to have a good roof.

I suppose our next step is to have the insurance company inspect it and do an estimate. Would they raise rates just by making contact?

What would you do with this roof if it were yours?
Apparently you have had leaks - the water just may not be getting to the living space yet.

The ins co will not raise rates just because you call them, but their adjuster needs to evaluate the roof.

You've been living with lower rates because of the high deductible. That $5k deductible is a tough nut to crack.

What I'd do: Call the ins co and get their evaluation. Call another roofer and see what it would take to repair the rot. See how close he can match the shingles. With a 15 y/o roof, the match will not be perfect even if the same shingles were still made. Get some copper or zinc strips installed to get rid of the moss. See if you can live with a patched roof or come up with the $5K to get it replaced. I'm a roofer so I'd take what the ins co would give and re-roof it myself.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

This is a DIY site so what you need to do is call the insurance company and get a settlement. If they say it will cost $12,500 to fix then they should write you a check for $7,500 ($12,500-your deductable). Then reroof it yourself. You may have a little left over or you may have to add some cash depending on how you do it and what equipment you already have.

Be aware that 4000 ft is a big roofing job that would be too much for most folks but like I said this is a DIY site.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
www.Ridgeline-Roofing.com

You definitely want to call your insurance company. As others have said, simply making contact does not make your rates go up. The deductible is high. They'll allow you a certain estimated number for the roof and cut you a check minus your deductible.

It is a large roof to do yourself and we're in the summer months. Paying $5,000 for a roof right now is not a bad deal at all. The other thing, if the roofer simply showed up after the storm, you may be dealing with an unethical storm chaser. This is not always the case, but could be true. Make sure you find a reputable roofing company in your area and seek them out to give you an estimate.

If you start getting into roofing companies that raise their estimated prices by $5,000 to cover your deductible, run. You'd be dealing with insurance fraud at that point... which seems to be a standard operating practice for shady, storm-chasing roofers.

RidgelineRoof is offline   Reply With Quote