What Will Be Typical Cost Of Roof Replacement - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What will be typical cost of roof replacement

My roof is old from 1977 and after few repairs, I think its time for replacement in a year or so. The roof has flat tiles at the moment and the house is around 2500 Sqft, single floor and not steep.

Cause of financial situation I want the cheaper alternative (no stylish tiles), which I believe is Shingles. But there are so many types and I hope someone can recommend 1 or 2 types which are cost effective at the same time is a quality product that will last.

My house is in Miami so the year round weather is hot and heavy rains in summer along with Hurricanes. I am attaching few pictures below to give an idea about the roof steep and type.

I would be great if someone can say whats the cost I am looking at (removing old tiles, removing the old felt I guess etc.). I will be calling some contractors to get quote, but having some info before hand will definitely help. (if someone can recommend a contractor in Miami, that would be great too).
Attached Thumbnails
What will be typical cost of roof replacement-house-left.jpg   What will be typical cost of roof replacement-house-right.jpg   What will be typical cost of roof replacement-house-sky-shot.jpg  

Advertisement

miamikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

My neighbor had their roof replaced for 8K, about 1300sf.

Advertisement

picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by picflight View Post
My neighbor had their roof replaced for 8K, about 1300sf.
So I am looking at $15K. Oh god, I was hoping to get it done in 10K or so.
The $8K is the complete replacement cost ? (removing old roof, underlying sheets etc and then put new shingles or tiles ?). Knowing more means, I can understand where I am standing.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Best way to get a good idea of cost is to contact three roofing contractors and have them properly scope the job and provide a estimate.

If a tile roof, why do you think it needs replacing? The lifetime of a tile roof is typically very long. If you are having leaks often that is from the around any vent pipe through the roof or a flashing issue - and not the tiles themselves. You may also need to re-paper under the tiles rather than replace the tiles. Again, a proper scoping of the job by roofing contractors is the best way to know for sure.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Best way to get a good idea of cost is to contact three roofing contractors and have them properly scope the job and provide a estimate.

If a tile roof, why do you think it needs replacing? The lifetime of a tile roof is typically very long. If you are having leaks often that is from the around any vent pipe through the roof or a flashing issue - and not the tiles themselves. You may also need to re-paper under the tiles rather than replace the tiles. Again, a proper scoping of the job by roofing contractors is the best way to know for sure.
There's are like 3 to 4 spots that have leaks (except 1, all are minor) but thats after I got the roof repaired in 2008 at 4 locations and previous owners have done repairs too. The leaks are in the middle and not around any vents (actually there are no vents on my roof except for 1 antenna pole and 4 breather pipes). If I have to put new underlayments, I am guess its cheaper to put shingles rather than putting back the old tiles as most of them might not survive when removed (at least that's what I have seen when I got it repaired last time and the guy had to purchase new tiles).
Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

With your house being 2500 sq feet and around a 4 pitch as it looks from the computer, you will most likely need around 28 sq of shingles.

It is hard to tell the price right now but don't waste any roofers time if you aren't having it done in the near future.

I would guesstimate 11-13k depending on contractor. Florida is also very strict. I am sure you will find some guy who will do it for 7k.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
With your house being 2500 sq feet and around a 4 pitch as it looks from the computer, you will most likely need around 28 sq of shingles.

It is hard to tell the price right now but don't waste any roofers time if you aren't having it done in the near future.

I would guesstimate 11-13k depending on contractor. Florida is also very strict. I am sure you will find some guy who will do it for 7k.
I will probably will not be calling any contractors. And I got an idea that the cost might run about $13K.

Does anyone know what type of shingles are recommended for Miami (or that will comply with Florida Hurricane code) ?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamikk View Post
I will probably will not be calling any contractors.
Then how are you planning to get a new roof?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Then how are you planning to get a new roof?
I meant to say I will not be calling any contractors now. As I plan to get it replaced in about a year, I will call them when I am ready (with $$). The reason I started here is to get an idea or decide what I should go with since there are tons of options when it comes to roofing.

I just read some threads about metal roofing. I will probably start a new thread to get some info about metal roofing vs tile vs shingles in Miami for both cost related info, energy savings on long run etc.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamikk View Post
I meant to say I will not be calling any contractors now. As I plan to get it replaced in about a year, I will call them when I am ready (with $$). The reason I started here is to get an idea or decide what I should go with since there are tons of options when it comes to roofing.

I just read some threads about metal roofing. I will probably start a new thread to get some info about metal roofing vs tile vs shingles in Miami for both cost related info, energy savings on long run etc.
Well that’s good, for a minute I thought you might be thinking about going down and picking up the crew hanging out in front of HD.

There’s a lot on good info on this site including some very knowledgeable roofers. But at the end of the day your best bet is to call a few well established local roofers. They will know what works and is required in your area.

Once they have measured your roof they can easily apply those numbers to any roof type and you’ll be able to see price difference between metal, shingles or whatever.

You can certainly post their proposals here and the pros will go out of their way to point out if somethings a miss but trying to price your roof on the internet borderlines useless.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 09-10-2011 at 05:34 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #11

I am in a similar situation, only in Ohio...I had about 6 estimates which ranged from $7000 to $15,000 - -to be honest, I have no idea what the difference in quality/products was; the sales people are ALL very confident that their company/product it THE best.....

Advertisement

mykielee is offline   Reply With Quote