DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   What will be typical cost of roof replacement (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/what-will-typical-cost-roof-replacement-116811/)

miamikk 09-10-2011 03:51 AM

What will be typical cost of roof replacement
 
3 Attachment(s)
My roof is old from 1977 and after few repairs, I think its time for replacement in a year or so. The roof has flat tiles at the moment and the house is around 2500 Sqft, single floor and not steep.

Cause of financial situation I want the cheaper alternative (no stylish tiles), which I believe is Shingles. But there are so many types and I hope someone can recommend 1 or 2 types which are cost effective at the same time is a quality product that will last.

My house is in Miami so the year round weather is hot and heavy rains in summer along with Hurricanes. I am attaching few pictures below to give an idea about the roof steep and type.

I would be great if someone can say whats the cost I am looking at (removing old tiles, removing the old felt I guess etc.). I will be calling some contractors to get quote, but having some info before hand will definitely help. (if someone can recommend a contractor in Miami, that would be great too).

picflight 09-10-2011 04:00 AM

My neighbor had their roof replaced for 8K, about 1300sf.

miamikk 09-10-2011 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picflight (Post 725052)
My neighbor had their roof replaced for 8K, about 1300sf.

So I am looking at $15K. Oh god, I was hoping to get it done in 10K or so.
The $8K is the complete replacement cost ? (removing old roof, underlying sheets etc and then put new shingles or tiles ?). Knowing more means, I can understand where I am standing.

vsheetz 09-10-2011 04:10 AM

Best way to get a good idea of cost is to contact three roofing contractors and have them properly scope the job and provide a estimate.

If a tile roof, why do you think it needs replacing? The lifetime of a tile roof is typically very long. If you are having leaks often that is from the around any vent pipe through the roof or a flashing issue - and not the tiles themselves. You may also need to re-paper under the tiles rather than replace the tiles. Again, a proper scoping of the job by roofing contractors is the best way to know for sure.

miamikk 09-10-2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsheetz (Post 725055)
Best way to get a good idea of cost is to contact three roofing contractors and have them properly scope the job and provide a estimate.

If a tile roof, why do you think it needs replacing? The lifetime of a tile roof is typically very long. If you are having leaks often that is from the around any vent pipe through the roof or a flashing issue - and not the tiles themselves. You may also need to re-paper under the tiles rather than replace the tiles. Again, a proper scoping of the job by roofing contractors is the best way to know for sure.

There's are like 3 to 4 spots that have leaks (except 1, all are minor) but thats after I got the roof repaired in 2008 at 4 locations and previous owners have done repairs too. The leaks are in the middle and not around any vents (actually there are no vents on my roof except for 1 antenna pole and 4 breather pipes). If I have to put new underlayments, I am guess its cheaper to put shingles rather than putting back the old tiles as most of them might not survive when removed (at least that's what I have seen when I got it repaired last time and the guy had to purchase new tiles).

BamBamm5144 09-10-2011 08:15 AM

With your house being 2500 sq feet and around a 4 pitch as it looks from the computer, you will most likely need around 28 sq of shingles.

It is hard to tell the price right now but don't waste any roofers time if you aren't having it done in the near future.

I would guesstimate 11-13k depending on contractor. Florida is also very strict. I am sure you will find some guy who will do it for 7k.

miamikk 09-10-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 (Post 725143)
With your house being 2500 sq feet and around a 4 pitch as it looks from the computer, you will most likely need around 28 sq of shingles.

It is hard to tell the price right now but don't waste any roofers time if you aren't having it done in the near future.

I would guesstimate 11-13k depending on contractor. Florida is also very strict. I am sure you will find some guy who will do it for 7k.

I will probably will not be calling any contractors. And I got an idea that the cost might run about $13K.

Does anyone know what type of shingles are recommended for Miami (or that will comply with Florida Hurricane code) ?

kwikfishron 09-10-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamikk (Post 725413)
I will probably will not be calling any contractors.

Then how are you planning to get a new roof? :)

miamikk 09-10-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikfishron (Post 725420)
Then how are you planning to get a new roof? :)

I meant to say I will not be calling any contractors now. As I plan to get it replaced in about a year, I will call them when I am ready (with $$). The reason I started here is to get an idea or decide what I should go with since there are tons of options when it comes to roofing.

I just read some threads about metal roofing. I will probably start a new thread to get some info about metal roofing vs tile vs shingles in Miami for both cost related info, energy savings on long run etc.

kwikfishron 09-10-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamikk (Post 725434)
I meant to say I will not be calling any contractors now. As I plan to get it replaced in about a year, I will call them when I am ready (with $$). The reason I started here is to get an idea or decide what I should go with since there are tons of options when it comes to roofing.

I just read some threads about metal roofing. I will probably start a new thread to get some info about metal roofing vs tile vs shingles in Miami for both cost related info, energy savings on long run etc.

Well that’s good, for a minute I thought you might be thinking about going down and picking up the crew hanging out in front of HD. :laughing:

There’s a lot on good info on this site including some very knowledgeable roofers. But at the end of the day your best bet is to call a few well established local roofers. They will know what works and is required in your area.

Once they have measured your roof they can easily apply those numbers to any roof type and you’ll be able to see price difference between metal, shingles or whatever.

You can certainly post their proposals here and the pros will go out of their way to point out if somethings a miss but trying to price your roof on the internet borderlines useless.

mykielee 09-11-2011 08:48 AM

variance in pricing
 
I am in a similar situation, only in Ohio...I had about 6 estimates which ranged from $7000 to $15,000 - -to be honest, I have no idea what the difference in quality/products was; the sales people are ALL very confident that their company/product it THE best.....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved